Recommend me a Vacuum..

Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can find.
We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl
I am looking to to get something for a similar price range - that will last for a long time.
It needs to be
1) Fairly lightweight and compact and easy to move around - the one we have is bulky and a nightmare to move around the house
2) Roughly around 100 again
3) Reliable and hardcore so it doesn't break within a year again!
4) Preferably available at Argos as I am taking orus back and they might allow a swap or something.
So far I have thought of 3 names- Bosch, Miele and Henry.
My thoughts
Bosch http://tinyurl.com/2mlvfj - well its a Bosch innit? I know they are known for reliability in washing mahcines and DIY tools etc
Henry - http://tinyurl.com/2v24rc - looks ab it childish but I hear they are very good.
Miele - I hear they are great for Vacuum cleaners and although I doubt mine will last 20 years liek they say their average cleaners do I might give them a go. I remember eyars ago going to a shop and they were very highly priced but now there are a couple under 150. I am thinking of this one: http://tinyurl.com/3xcocr
There are 2 other Mieles on there for 140 but not sure if the extra price increase is worth it.
Any advice?
Thanks

Not bad..

Yes deffo!, Miele every time.. not that there will need to be many times we just give them away to children who leave home;)
--
Tony Sayer

My son had the Bosch. It was well made but very, very badly designed. So much so that the Bosch rep gave him a full refund with 2 weeks left on the guarantee. He's now got a Meile and is very pleased with it.

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

They just lose suction - dunno why...
Sometimes our house gets messy when we have visitors (children etc) - but I'd say use is still average - once a day I guess.
I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on Amazon!

Any vacuum is going to need occasional attention to keep it in good condition. Are you perhaps never doing this?

Do they get stuck in the hose? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

The only attention our Miele needs is the bag changing!...

The suck that things got;!, its amazing what goes down there!..

Henry isn't a bad lad either. We used to have one but he didn't look stylish enough;!.. ...
--
Tony Sayer

Aha. You *have* been emptying them??? :-)

Usually lots of people say 'go for the Henry' when this question is asked. Doubt you'll get a Miele for a hundred quid. I'd get a Henry (well, I would...if I didn't already *have* one!)

I got my Henry from the dumpit site for 4. It worked for 20 mins and then stopped. Took it all to pieces which was really easy. Cleaned it all and is now the best cleaner that I have ever had.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

last
have
are
mine
them
priced
Where are you? I have a upright Kirby you can have,it only needs a new outer bag. Its not lightweight but it will suck up your cat with no problems. :-)

Apparently these achieve their power because both the machine and the operator are suckers......
said:

outer
MrHall this upright has been going for 25 years in that time it only had the belt changed and now the outer dust bag wants changing.
ps I got given it 25 years ago does that make me a sucker as opposed to a tool freak who lashes out oodles on joe brand tools.
says...

Our Dyson here at home has always been reliable, but one of my clients shifts an awful lot of henrys to the council and trade (the attrition rate is normally due to them not shutting van doors properly and them falling out near their mates houses I believe) -- Alex Threlfall Cyberprog New Media www.cyberprog.net tel - 0870 446 0789 fax - 0870 446 1789
ALP wrote:

Errrm!
Likely not made by Bosch, maybe badged.

And made in UK, cheap bags, cheap easy to get parts.

Doubt if any vac will last 20 years, don't rate Miele that highly anyway.

Yes. Think about the daily office cleaning market. Machines used 5/6 days a week, 2 hours a day, abused, not maintained, used by idiots 98% of the time. What machine do the top 50 contract cleaning contractors in the UK use? Whats the number one vac in the commercial cleaning market by a huge margin?
Numatic Henry or varients http://www.numatic.co.uk /
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

My working hours mean I'm still around when cleaners are doing their rounds, just about everywhere I've worked. I don't recall ever seeing Numatic Henry's being used, unless they have industrial cleaners which don't look anything like the classic Henry. Next time one's going past, I might try and see what make it is.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They have a big range, many use the metal version of the Henry. A lot of the larger companies have them made in their corporate colours & logo's.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

They used to use Nilfisks at work, but most of them seem to be Henrys these days. Big site (300 acres although they don't vacuum all the grass...!)
The Medway Handyman wrote:

My AEG has just died, first thing I bought when I moved in here, lasted 22 years.
--
djc

~50 year old Hoover Constellation still running like new (I'll have to ask my parents exactly how old it is). Must admit it hasn't had much use in last 7 years (due to buying a Dyson), but it was in constant use prior to that, first by my parents, and then by me.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:07:32 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

MH is right that any modern vac is unlikely to last that long, though.