OT: Looks like reality has caught up to recycling....

https://www.ft.com/content/360e2524-d71a-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8
This has been in the news here in the NYC area. Towns are finding there are no takers for most of the recyclables. This article shows how China apparently realized that taking all kinds of recyclables was bad for the environment and just said no more. So, now we're turning some of the rest of Southeast Asia into an environmental mess and apparently they aren't taking enough, so we're still screwed.
We've talked about this here before, but this is pretty bad and huge setback for the proponents of recycling. Here, we're sending separate trucks out each week to pick up the single stream recycling. And it looks like most of it is going into the landfill anyway. Maybe it's time to call it quits? But I doubt the tree huggers driving it will accept reality.
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:20:15 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

A recent radio discussion, here, stated that one of the biggest issues is <plastic ish > food packaging - it's getting worse - for recycling. .. it should be going the other way. Glass & tin & paper are still OK. & certain plastics. I think aluminum is still valuable. John T.
On 4/23/2019 7:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

The problem is legislation dictating technology. Most political leaders do not have a technical education (I have read 65 in congress) and seem to lack good economic knowledge.
The only thing that makes sense is doing the recycling in the dump itself. It has to be done anyway as recycle does not come in clean and has to be segregated.

That doesn’t make any sense either if no one wants what is recycled.

No point in segregating if no one wants what is segregated and it ends up dumped to landfill or in the ocean with all the rest when no one wants it.
And no point in sending it to china or se asia either.
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 8:04:27 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

If you read the story, the problem is more fundamental than that. China was the biggest buyer of cardboard, paper and plastic. They no longer want it because they've come to the conclusion that it's created environmental problems for them and it;s not worth it. Other SE Asian countries are taking some of it, but there are the same environmental problems. The recycling people have you believe we're doing something great and it looks like mostly we're shoving environmental problems onto third world countries. And even that doesn't look like it will continue much longer. China will only take stuff that is very pure, impossible with our single stream and maybe with any method. If you look at what the single stream is at the municipal facility here, it's a mess. Cans still have food, the food is sloshed around with the paper, it's a mess. Maybe it should just go in the dump? Which sounds like where a lot of it is actually going now.
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:55:31 -0700, ZZyXX

That may be safe but the optics are tough. "Those bottles were washed in sewer water". They won't even use recycled water to irrigate the grass in a playground here. "Purple pipe = shitty water" in most people's mind.
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 12:48:22 -0700, ZZyXX

It depends on which boondoggle we are talking about. There is a movement for reusable glass bottles too, ditching plastic altogether. Here they have already banned plastic straws and bags in some areas. It is part of the war on plastic. I am sure it will last until people actually see why we embraced plastic in the first place. Then there will be a backlash.

We still see quite a bit of beer sold in glass bottles. Not clear if they are still reused or they use new glass now.
Most of the wine is still in glass bottles but with them so variable, presumably its mostly new glass with those.

You don't see much of that with softdrink and water except with the massive great bottles of water.

Single use plastic bags are banned now here, but they are pushing reusable plastic bags for the stuff from supermarkets.

I doubt there will be much of a backlash myself.
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 07:12:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"

The biggest problem with reusable bags is cross contamination if you are not washing them every time you use them. They are just starting to recognize that but I still see do gooder people at the store dragging out what are clearly dirty bags and putting their groceries in them. A lot of the bags they have here, made with recycled plastic, will fall apart if you keep them in your car very long. That still doesn't address produce, meat, cereal, ice and other products packaged in plastic. It is like thinking banning plastic straws is doing something when the cup, the top and the stirrer is still plastic.

Can't see it given that the supermarket stuff that goes in it has its own packaging even if its stuff like loose fruit and veg. If say I buy some apples loose, they go in a plastic bag so I can get them from the bin to the checkout and can be weighed at the checkout, so when that bag of apples goes in the reusable bag at the checkout, the apples don't get contaminated by the reusable bag.

Yeah, mine are visibly dirty. Doesn't cause a problem because whatever I put in them has its own packaging.

Havent found that with mine, that they fall apart when kept in the car.

Yeah, the whole thing is completely silly, particularly with those who used to use the bags as bin liners who now have to buy rolls of bin liner plastic bags.

Although that one isnt quite so bad if they have reusable washable cups and do wash and reuse those. Hardly any one currently does but a few do.
Our hotels and pubs always do with glasses. We normally only use plastic at major public events which sell beer etc.
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 11:22:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Read that again back to yourself slowly and see the insanity. I can't have a plastic bag to carry my stuff home but I need one to get it 50 meters from the produce department to the register. Is that bag any less of a hazard to the environment than the one they banned?

I bet you think those glasses in your room are some kind of sanitized. Next time you are in a hotel, look at how many are on the maid cart. It is barely enough to replace the ones that are broken or stolen. They wipe them out with the last guest's cleanest dirty towel. If you are lucky they squirt a little bleach water on them but not enough bleach to degrade the towels. I only use the disposable plastic cups they put in the bathroom.

Never said it made any sense, in fact with my comment about bin liners, I in fact said it was silly and pointless.

Yes you can, it just has to be a reusable one, not a single use one.

And it continues past the checkout all the way to your home just like it always did. But that's not the bag you put all the stuff in to move it from the checkout to your car.

Corse it isnt, but it does reduce the number of bags that are used move stuff from the checkout to your house which are then discarded into the trash at your house.
Most did have quite a few discarded even when they did use some of them as bin liners.

I didn't mean those, I meant the ones the put the beer into. And no, I don't think those glasses in the rooms are sanitised and I don't use those for anything. I drink the beer from a glass bottle in the room, or from a can if I can't get the beer in a glass bottle. They are quite happy to supply the beer in the rooms in glass bottles or cans, whichever you prefer.

Don't need to, I know what they do with them and have done for well over 3/4 of a century now.

I drink from the glass or plastic or can, whatever the drink comes in.
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 14:28:37 +1000, "Rod Speed"

So you are throwing away 50 pieces of plastic packaging but it was that bag they put your groceries in to get to the car that was the problem. It is bullshit and you bought into it.
On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 11:39:47 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1
Actually, many times I wind up with a lot more of those bags for vegs, fruit, rolls, etc, than I do with the general use plastic bags.
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 08:02:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

It is actually pretty hard to find anything at the grocery store that isn't in some kind of plastic package but the enviro idiots decided it was the one at the checkout counter that was the problem. It is like the straws. There is 5-10 times as much plastic in the top they put on the cup.

Its easy here with the loose fruit and veg but you normally put that into a big plastic bag and that gets weighed at the checkout with all but the biggest stuff like say an iceberg lettuce, cabbage or pineapple.

Because it's the one that can be replaced with a reusable bag.

Nothing like in fact.

We don't use straws or plastic cups for beer and softdrink, drink it out of the bottle or can.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 07:08:09 +1000, "Rod Speed"

See the new thread I started about bags.

You're just saying what I said right from the start, stupid.

It is the old story: They see what they want to see. It must be obvious (to them). No thought is put into a whole cycle solution, cost, long term consequences or sustainability. It is commonly referred to as a knee jerk reaction. They will not listen to any opposition or discussion.
--
Tekkie

Its much more about being quite easy to move from single use bags at checkouts to reusable bags and impossible to move from the use of plastic trays and shrink wrap back to having a butcher in each supermarket wrapping what you want in butchers paper anymore.
Let alone a return to the old approach of a truck with half carcases hanging on hooks in the truck with someone carrying them in to the butchers shop over their shoulder and having butchers cut up the carcasses for customers.
Same with a return to the original glass returnable bottles.
Even more complicated with stuff like iceberg lettuce. Something like 75% still use the old approach of loose individual lettuces with someone ripping off the outer leaves on the ones not yet sold every day to a few putting the whole thing in a plastic bag.