Looks like chicken...

Human muscle tissue looks just like raw chicken. Did anyone ever notice that?

Remember that "most dangerous tool" thread from awhile back? Chisel! DEFINITELY a chisel.

Gack. I'm going to have to unwrap this thing real soon now and see if I need stitches.

I would have gotten stitches already, but I have no freaking idea how to use my insurance. It has changed six times in seven years, and I haven't used it since the guy five doctors ago moved out of town. I have no idea who has my records, who my designated "gatekeeper" is, or which hospital I'm allowed to use, though it's a safe bet that I'm not permitted to be cared for at the hospital 1/2 mile from my house, where I and both of my children were born.

Piss, piss, piss! I hate the whole medical establishment in this country!

Reply to
Silvan

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gack! Go to the emergency room, now! Most cuts like a chisel only have 60 to 90 minutes, before stitches won't do any good.

It would be the very rare insurance that would not cover an emergency room visit ANYWHERE, if it is a true emergency. Take your card, receipt or policy, anything with a number.

Get going.

Reply to
Morgans

"...looks like chicken....." I remember thinking the same thing. Pumpkin carving incident, 1995.

Reply to
ez-link network

The good news is that your scary sharp technique seems to be improving :-)

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Spit on it and pack it with sawdust, Works for me everytime

But if it is that bad Jim is right, at worst there is a 50.00 deductable. However do not tell them it was done last week, most emergency rooms will only declare it an emergency if it happened in the last 48 hours, they will actually tell you, this is not an emergency go see your doctor. Yes they smile when they tell you this.

So does my proctologist when he says "Bend Over Please"

Just be carefull to keep it clean and don't let it get infected, this you will know without help

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Well then, sounds like you have to freshen up that wound, so they can both declare it an emergency, and use stitches to close it.

I recommend a crisp blow to the old wound with a scarey sharp

1" chisel. Word of warning, it hurts more the second time. You may want to put a stick between your teeth so you don't bite off your tongue.
Reply to
David Binkowski

No it doesn't. Human muscle looks like beef. Cold dead humans smell like cold chicken. Trust me on this.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

It sure is nice to live in Canada where you can go to any hospital or emergency room, don't have to even pay for the ambulance (unless its a car accident, then they really soak you because they expect the car insurance to make it up). Just make sure you have your provincial Health Card with you. No worrys. Ken, makin dust (not blood) in NS

Reply to
ken

Yup, sliced my forearm with a machete I stuck in the small stump of the tree I'd just cut down many years ago and still remember how gross it and the bone looked 40 years later. Got 12 stitches and 2 days after them coming out my cousin gave me an 'indian burn' right on the same spot. Got 6 more stitches in it and one butt ugly scar ever since.

Reply to
Grandpa

Re-read the post. He said he had to take the rag off to see if he needed stitches. Sounds like it just happened.

Let us know how it comes out, Michael. Good luck.

Reply to
Morgans

At least it didn't look like a scene from "Kill Bill"!

Well, it'll feel better when it stops hurtin.. Jon

Reply to
Jon

Find a lawyer & thank 'em.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Sorry you cut yourself. Can't be too bad if you can get on the net and bitch about not knowing how your insurance plan works. The man from Canada implied that you wouldn't have to know anything about insurance coverage there. Perhaps a move to Canada will put the medical establishment back into your good graces. :>) IMHO, human muscle tissue looks more like pork if it hasn't been blown all to shit; then it looks like beef. Hope you're a quick healer. Regards, Hank

"Bill, that cigar really, really stinks". Hillary Rodham Clinton

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Yeah buddy, you got that right! I didn't stick it into my hand or anything like that. It really just barely grazed me.

Probably a good thing.

Reply to
Silvan

It *does* too. It was really creepy. That realization was a lot worse than any of the rest of it.

Kinda puts being a carnivore into a whole new light, doesn't it?

Reply to
Silvan

That's OK. I think I'll pass. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Maybe it wasn't muscle then? Fat? My fingers aren't very fat, but I guess there might be some layer in there. It looked for all the world like raw chicken breast.

Reply to
Silvan

By the time I posted the message, it was already too late then. I dumped alum on it and wrapped/taped it with gauze, then finished the project I was working on, taking care to keep my damn hands out of the path of the chisels.

I don't know if using alum is actually a medically sanctioned good idea or not, but it damn sure works. Turns black, makes the wound clot up fast. One of Mom's tricks.

"This product should not be used as a dusting powder as it can be harmful. Alum should be used only when diluted as directed."

Well I guess it's *not* a medically sanctioned good idea. I wonder what "harmful" means in this context.

Well, anyway, too late for that now. My finger works, and it isn't infected. I plan to keep it that way.

I think I'll be fine, but thanks for caring. :)

Reply to
Silvan

hurt a bit. That's because when I had cut my hand up with a chain saw, it severed a nerve.

Reply to
juan fandango

Not trying to be gross... I grew up on a ranch and we did our own butchering. I had one run-in with a sharp hog-wire barb wire fence that cut my leg badly. I was able to observe, first hand, that the skin is an organ about 1/4" thick that covers the muscle. The muscle underneath looked

*persactly* like beef & venison meat. (& twiching where it was cut at an angle.) Though it was stiched shut it pulled apart before totally healed. I can still feel it, right now, more than 20 years later.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde