Looks like chicken...

Gack.

Reply to
Silvan

Morgans

Of course, I get more deducted off my paychecks up here in Alberta for my "free" healthcare than when I spent a year down in Florida.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

Well, I suppose you might want to know about "fast" versus "slow" muscle. Your chicken has both, as do you. The mix of fibers and the hemoglobin saturation determine the color. My fingers are white meat, as I recall. The guy who wishes he had been wearing his chaps while chainsawing the other day was dark meat in the thigh.

NB: >

Reply to
George

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:wvklb.32962$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Anecdotely, more like pork. The curious may want to google for "long pig".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Sorry about the cut. And if you want different insurance, be sure to vote for a candidate who is for single-payer health coverage for the entire U.S. (note that I did not say "government-run"). Someone like Dean. We need to get the profit out of medical insurance!

Reply to
Hitch

What you saw was fat. The fingers don't have any muscle in them at all. Everything is attached by tendons to the muscles in your forearm with the exception of 1 muscle in your palm that controls part of your thumb. I was very surprised to learn that from my physical therapist after a nasty run in with the table saw.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Ahhhhh! I hope you kicked his ass :-) That hurts just thinking about it.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Of course you are perfectly correct Clint. We do not get Health Care for free. But when you need it it is there with no questions as long as you have a Health Card. By the way i wish we had no prov sales tax like you people. Tried before to get the wife to move to Alberta but she wants to stay near the family. Go figure. Ken, makin dust in NS

Reply to
ken

No kidding? I'm surprised to learn that too!

The human body is a pretty amazing contraption, isn't it?

Reply to
Silvan

Why did you hear that hell froze over and that would be next.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Did you see the ABC News series they're running this week? The other day they said that in the US, the rich are happy with their medical care. Others, not quite so.

Renata

--snip--

Reply to
Renata

Now, how am I supposed to know that, suddenly, eating breakfast while perusing htis group is not such a good idea...? Maybe some sorta warning label in the subject line, kinda like "OT" is being used ;-)

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Oooowwww! Sorry to hear that and I hope you got your behind to a doctor/hospital!

Just thought you'd like to know what you're medical salve is also used for ...

"Alum is the coagulant of choice for many industrial and sanitary wastewater tratment applications due to its high efficiency, effectiveness in clarification, and utility as a sludge dewatering agent. The chemical leaves no residual color, offers very good turbidity removal, and is available as G.R.A.S. or food grade quality". from beckart.com

but also...

"This natural stone is used in the event of minor nicks or cuts. It can also serve as an after-shave antiseptic." from drugstore.com

Note the word "minor".

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Hey, Ken, nice to hear from another Canuck! :) Yeah, the no PST thing is nice, but I think we get nailed somehow... BTW, my wife's family is from out your way, and we keep meaning to head out there to visit. Haven't got around to it yet, though...

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

And you're surprised by this?

Personally, I've never met anyone who was paid what he was worth or given the respect he earned ... according to him.

BTW, the "rich" are more likely to understand what constitutes good medical care than the "others."

Reply to
George

Nup. Just as well though. I finally found my new insurance card. I'd have ended up paying 100% of the bill, and I sure don't have it.

It probably could have used stitches, but it's not that bad. Very clean. The edges of the wound are easy to separate if I really want to, but since I'm leaving it bandaged and medicated, it should be fine. No bleeding, no signs of infection. I'm glad I didn't spend the money.

Oh wonderful... I'm glad I put a sludge dewatering agent on my hand. :)

I guess it's all relative. If my finger had stopped working, I'd have gone to the ER immediately. If I hadn't been able to stop the bleeding in a reasonable period, I'd have gone to the ER immediately. In the end, I think stitches would have made the difference between a big scar and a little scar. I have lots of scars. One more won't hurt.

I appreciate your concern though. Same goes to all the rest of you who encouraged me to do the prudent thing.

Reply to
Silvan

For emergency services? That's just backwards, that's what insurance should be for, catastrophic and emergency issues.

I'm not one to talk, several years ago when I banged a knuckle between a sledge hammer and the mailbox base plate I was installing I didn't go to the doctor either. A day later, I allowed myself to be intimidated into going -- he looked at it and said he would have liked to have put a couple stitches in it, but could only do that in the first 24 hours. It's not that I couldn't afford it or wouldn't have been covered -- I think I was too embarassed by what I had done and it wasn't bleeding that bad, and I don't like doctors visits anyway ....

Still have a bump on that knuckle, but no other long term effects.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Oh, it would be "covered" but it would just count toward the deductible. I don't start to see any advantage until things get *really* expensive. I haven't actually ever had stitches, and I don't remember what it cost to get my daughter patched up at the doctor's office (it was a lot cheaper than the previous time, at the ER) but I'm thinking I probably wouldn't spend more than $500 for three stitches. That's $500 I don't have, which I don't want to be in debt for. After $500, they pay 80%, but that could still be $500+ if I'm being too optimistic about the cost of stitches.

We're already getting nickel and dimed to death over two trips to the doctor this summer. The kids each have $750 deductibles, and we almost met them both. We're making payments on the bills, but you don't just get one bill, you get six different little medical sub-contractors all clammoring for their slice of the pie, and telling you what an asshole you are every month for not just cutting them a big, fat check for the whole amount. That makes for a total of twelve people screaming every month and reminding me how very expensive it can be to spend half an hour getting medical treatment.

That's why I say I hate the medical establishment. It's not the providers, or the quality of care, but the whole system of expensive insurance that doesn't cover anything that's less than catastrophic, and owing half a dozen different people for every trivial little thing. A lot of little things go wrong with kids.

Well, the other side of all of this is that if I had gone to the doctor, I would have wasted a significant portion of my shop time sitting around and waiting in some stupid office instead of finishing my project. I'm sure that factored in, since I went back out as soon as I could stop bleeding all over my workpiece. :)

Yeah, I have a number of scars from other misadventures. The only time I've ever had stitches was when I had to get my thumb re-located.

That cost my parents about $1,000 in 1982. I'll bet the same procedure costs at least $10,000 now. My thumb was completely ripped out of place, and the bulk of it was inside the palm of my hand, with the remainder pointing toward my elbow. It works, which is pretty damn amazing, but it doesn't work 100%. I lost some fractional range of motion, and I can't do certain things without discomfort. Mostly this means I can't snap my fingers on my right hand, which is not a huge loss.

Hmmm... Now there's food for thought. The surgeon who performed that little miracle has been in prison for some time now for tax evasion...

Reply to
Silvan

After reading the different posts on Chicken I realize that one of the many benefits of living in Canada is our Health Care system. Yes i always complain about the amount of taxes that i pay yearly, but when i think about it the many side benefits are great. Rich or poor get the same treatment here. Your salary has nothing to do with it. Of course the rich can always go to a private doctor for speedy care. I had to wait almost a year to get an MRI on my shoulder which I had dislocated. I finaly got the MRI and there was no problems (which I and the therapist thought there was) so it worked out in the end. No payments for the thereapist either (twice a week). Its probably too late now for the US to go to this system, and in fact many here are advocating a move to Private Health Care. It may come because the public system is so expensive to the various levels of government. I cant give u figures, but even in this small Province of NS it is very large and a very big bite out of the provincial Budget. Of course the small guy hopes that the public health care continues. I hope it last another 20 years or so and then they can do what they want!!!! In the mean time i know that in an emergency the ambulance will come to my place and take me to the hospital (whichever one is appropriate) and i will not get a large bill in the mail or any hassle when I arrive at the hospital. I suspect that this health system is one of the reasons that Canada is one of the top places to live in the world. I'm definetly not moving anywhere, except may west!! Ken, making dust in NS

Reply to
ken