Shut Up Holmes

about stupid exhaust gases leaking in the house from the garage.

Seriously.

How many people run their vehicle in the garage long enough to have any effect?

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

no shit. not to mention, a modern, properly functioning vehicle will not put out enough CO to kill you in a week.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Agreed!

It's yet another extreme building code that costs thousands to comply.

Reply to
Hugh Jass

Uh, it has happened and it made the news here a few years ago. No one killed, but a couple of people sick. There are many dumb people out there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unfortunately a late friend of mine did, just before he became my late friend. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In free air. It is basically a chain reaction sort of thing. As the cars engine depletes the oxygen in a closed space there is less available to complete the reaction which converts the CO to CO2.

It only took a few hours for a guy a few towns over to die just be sitting in a running car in the garage.

Reply to
George

It only took a few hours for the guy next town over who had serious financial issues (his restaurant was in trouble) and simply sat in the car he started in their multi car garage. My pathologist friend whose practice does all of the autopsies for the local coroner said they only found high CO in his blood.

Reply to
George

Yeah, the other thing that I hate is his over use of "spray foam". Maybe in Canada. But, do you know how terrible it would be to try and add some wiring or plumbing with all that stuff? Judiciously used, it is probably a very good product.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I don't believe it's even true that normal exhaust from a car doens't have enough CO to kill you. Modern cars have catalytic converters to convert MOST of the CO to CO2, but I think there is still more than enough to be lethal. The body prefers CO over O2, so it doesn't take a super high concentration. If he has a cite that says it's not potentially lethal, I'd like to see it.

I also agree with your feedback scenario. Just like a gas furnace. When it's not running correctly on the right fuel/air ratio the emission shift to more CO.

Reply to
trader4

My late friend was a Vietnam vet and was on medication from The VA hospital which he'd been on for years. His usual habit was to chase his meds with beer and since he'd been on the same meds for years, he had the meds to beer ratio finely sorted out. A problem occurred when VA doctors changed his medication which disrupted my friend's routine. He was finding himself sitting in his car at stoplights and having no idea how he got there. He wound up being arrested for DUI which is something that had never been a concern with his old meds. The new meds in combination with alcohol caused depression which really took him over after his mother died. His mother had been the support for his mental well being and after her death, he was lost. Another friend had prevented one suicide attempt but eventually, he succeeded in offing himself. I'd like to believe his death was an accident but the garage door was the manually closed type. Dammit, we better take a lot better care of the kids who fought in The Middle East because I think they may have gone through a lot more Hell. I never want to see them ignored, treated with scorn and disrespect as my contemporaries were.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I noticed the topic and wondered if it might be something Dr. Watson would say to his friend Sherlock? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I don't think, we as citizens do enough to support the troops who have returned. I'm sure I'm as guilty as anyone. I don't visit the VA, or a lot of things I should do. Sounds like you have an active interest in good peoples lives, and I'm glad someone does.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon