NFilter? (Was: Re: NG Filters)

Doug Miller, or anyone: Has anyone used NFilter with XP Pro? It's not mentioned on the Web site, but I'd hope that NFilter will work with it if it works with NT.

Thanks.

Owen Davies

Reply to
Owen Davies

No idea, Owen. I use Win98... sorry. Anyone else?

Doug Miller

Thanks anyway. No doubt I should just install it and see, but I am always a little wary of putting software I'm not sure of into a system that's working well as it is. Comes from years of dealing with Win95 and '98. (Don't hardly seem right using a Windows machine that doesn't freeze more than once or twice a month. It ain't nachurl.)

Owen

Reply to
Owen Davies

I have one Win XP Pro box in the house and two Win 98SE boxes.

Nfilter works well on all of them but newsproxy.exe does bail out on occasion (measured in hundreds of hours of uptime) - I have not found this to be a significant deterrent to using it.

(I am curious as to why it goes belly up once in a while, though)

With a simple crossposting filter in place I see little of the nonsense that is posted to the group by the trolls.

Author level filtering takes care of the rest, although I often have to apply new filters in this way on a daily basis.

I maintain a parallel, unfiltered instance of Agent on my laptop and every so often will look into it to see what I'm missing.

It is a brief look, but makes me glad that I read the group through filters.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Doug, I'm running XP-Home Edition. If NFilter acts only as a local news proxy it just might work. I'm going to try it and let you know if I get the 'Blue Screen o Death' or not, OK? Jon PS: OE ? If this doesn't work, maybe it's time for me to look for a different news reader.

Reply to
Jon

Right, that's all it is, just a proxy. Nfilter connects to the newsserver, and your newsreader connects to Nfilter.

Good luck, mon.

If you're using OE, it's time to look for a different newsreader anyway, whether or not this works. :-)

Doug Miller

Owen & Dave, I'm having 'some' trouble. WinXP stopped it twice before I selected "Run in compatability mode for: Windows 95". NFilter is now saying "OVR:09D0 WARNING: Header 'path' is unobtainable (can't be filtered) OVR:09D0 +006 WA". I've had enough for tonight. Jon

Reply to
Jon

I use it on XP Home, XP Pro, Win2K and Win2K Advanced Server. All work fine.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

That means your news server doesn't provide that header. Remove the filter(s) that are attempting to filter on "path", or ignore the warning (it's harmless).

Doug Miller

Works fine for me.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

Thanks Doug. Took some time but I think I got this thing figured out. At least to do the trick. I modified some of the ones people have posted, and then made a couple of my own. Time will tell.

Takes-a-shot, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Thanks too all! Yep, it's behaving as you say! I had some crappy filter commands (at least for my news server) that evidently made WinXP close it down. But once they were cleaned up..yeh!

Takes-a-shot Jon

Reply to
Jon

Spoke to soon.... This thing may have been working ok, it sure seemed to earlier. Now it's choking... I've had it. Just going to use "Block sender" in OE and call it a day, cause I got plenty to do rather than fighting with nfilter. Thanks anyway, PS I am not leaving the rec cause of some jerks.

Jon Veeneman

Reply to
Jon

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:40:31 +0000 (UTC), "Frank McVey" brought forth from the murky depths:

I had turned on logging and regex. They proved to be the demons which were unleashed by the sunspot activity. All is now well and the trolls are back under the stairs/bridges where they belong.

===================================================================== -=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards -=including moderation.=-

Larry Jaques