OT: Looks like reality has caught up to recycling....

Water in the 5 gallon jug is as expensive, if not more than the little bottles. That is really true if it is delivered. You can buy the 0.5l bottles for about 10-12 cents each at Costco. Even buying the 1 gallon jug at the grocery store is cheaper than the 5 gallon jug, before you pay the deposit.

When the costs/taxes start rising and crime comes back they will be longing for the days of Mike and Rudy.

Reply to
gfretwell

We know more than we want to about SE Michigan water ;-) I guess it is OK as long as they don't cheap out on the anti corrosive chemicals. My water won't kill you, it just tastes bad. (sulfur, minerals etc) I have an R/O that makes it tolerable but it still doesn't store well. If you leave water in a water bottle for a few days it becomes a science fair project. We also have that hurricane problem that makes keeping water around a priority. In the summer I keep around 10 cases stuffed away. Even when I was in DC, on city water, water stored in a jug started to turn in few weeks to a month. If you found your old canteen in the spring, that you put away in the fall with water in it, you had to rinse it out with bleach to get the nasty taste out. Bottled water has a shelf life measured in years.

Reply to
gfretwell

Molly Brown snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

It’s a lot cheaper than reusable glass bottles.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But is the reason you want to see all supermarkets have butchers who wrap up the meat you are buying in butchers paper |-(

Reply to
Rod Speed

You have to be stupid to not know. Once main reason. Money. Many companies have the plastic bottle operation right in the bottling plant/ Easier and cheaper than hauling glass bottles from a glass plant.

I've been in glass plants and you don't set up a small one in a bottling plant. They are much more complex to operate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No idea, and no idea what has to be done with the paint on the outside of the can before it can be used.

Water treatment plants normally just chlorinate the water after flocculation etc. Very different getting rid of whatever is in a trash stream which might well have discarded pesticides, week killer engine oil etc in it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That may be safe but the optics are tough. "Those bottles were washed in sewer water". They won't even use recycled water to irrigate the grass in a playground here. "Purple pipe = shitty water" in most people's mind.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wow, that shoud cure just about anything. Beer is good to substitute.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a job that included a visit with Doctor Rudy. He asked me what animal I'd like to be. I told him an Aardvark. He asked why, so I told him it was so I could be the first name in the phone book. Yeah, blew his mind.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's Canada that didn't honor the deal. It was for recyclable materials not containers literally full of shit.

Reply to
rbowman

She knows about Financial Services; she'll service anybody with sufficient finances.

Reply to
rbowman

How about both?

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, that’s what I meant, no idea if that is a problem or if it is, how its dealt with. Likely it just burns off when the can is melted but I don’t know if that contaminates the aluminium enough to matter. Likely it doesn’t.

Cant see too many being too keen on containers which have been washed with the effluent of sewage treatment plants.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My municipality brags that the outflow from the sewage treatment plant is cleaner that what comes in upstream to the water treatment plan.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Sure, and pollys have been known to drink a glass of it for the cameras, but that’s a separate issue to how most of the general public are likely to feel about it.

The water supply in London is alleged to go thru about 10 people serially. My water supply comes from a river that receives the treated sewer water from Canberra and a number of other towns like Wagga etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It depends on which boondoggle we are talking about. There is a movement for reusable glass bottles too, ditching plastic altogether. Here they have already banned plastic straws and bags in some areas. It is part of the war on plastic. I am sure it will last until people actually see why we embraced plastic in the first place. Then there will be a backlash.

Reply to
gfretwell

We still see quite a bit of beer sold in glass bottles. Not clear if they are still reused or they use new glass now.

Most of the wine is still in glass bottles but with them so variable, presumably its mostly new glass with those.

You don't see much of that with softdrink and water except with the massive great bottles of water.

Single use plastic bags are banned now here, but they are pushing reusable plastic bags for the stuff from supermarkets.

I doubt there will be much of a backlash myself.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Our local Ace Hardware does that at least for all sorts of bolts and various fasteners.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Can't see it given that the supermarket stuff that goes in it has its own packaging even if its stuff like loose fruit and veg. If say I buy some apples loose, they go in a plastic bag so I can get them from the bin to the checkout and can be weighed at the checkout, so when that bag of apples goes in the reusable bag at the checkout, the apples don't get contaminated by the reusable bag.

Yeah, mine are visibly dirty. Doesn't cause a problem because whatever I put in them has its own packaging.

Havent found that with mine, that they fall apart when kept in the car.

Yeah, the whole thing is completely silly, particularly with those who used to use the bags as bin liners who now have to buy rolls of bin liner plastic bags.

Although that one isnt quite so bad if they have reusable washable cups and do wash and reuse those. Hardly any one currently does but a few do.

Our hotels and pubs always do with glasses. We normally only use plastic at major public events which sell beer etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Read that again back to yourself slowly and see the insanity. I can't have a plastic bag to carry my stuff home but I need one to get it 50 meters from the produce department to the register. Is that bag any less of a hazard to the environment than the one they banned?

I bet you think those glasses in your room are some kind of sanitized. Next time you are in a hotel, look at how many are on the maid cart. It is barely enough to replace the ones that are broken or stolen. They wipe them out with the last guest's cleanest dirty towel. If you are lucky they squirt a little bleach water on them but not enough bleach to degrade the towels. I only use the disposable plastic cups they put in the bathroom.

Reply to
gfretwell