That looks like fun

swapping that fuse box.

There must be a second fuse box looking at the Henley block and that socket is knackered.

Reply to
ARW

I'll take your word for it. jpg eh

People tell me my old sheds were death traps electrically, but I survived. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Elfin safety: every elf still alive proves it's unnecessary. ;)

Reply to
GB

At least the meter's on a separate board. Move the meter to the left of the cutout then you've got space for a narrow stacked CU if necessary.

Wiring looks domestic, decor looks chavvy pub. Is that a fair summary?

I've seen the black Friedland transformers in pics but never one in the flesh. I guess they're older than the white ones.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The soldering on the gas pipe also looks "professional".

Reply to
alan_m

The gas pipework looks new ish - so who was the GasSafe fitter who signed that off (proximity of cables)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

150mm is the minimum (CU to gas meter) ISTR.
Reply to
ARW

Moving the meter was my first thought. I might also move the incoming supply a bit to the left.

TBH you have as much info as I have, the customer sent me the photo.

They get the keys to the house next week and they are having a complete rewire.

Reply to
ARW

I was more looking at all those cables dangling around the gas pipes :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well if it was not for the gas pipes they would be on the floor.

It is getting a rewire so I can tidy things up.

Reply to
ARW

Yes I know, its like all those who smoke like chimneys and live to be 100 innit. I do think though that there does need to be some education around the world of stuff, that there is a line to be drawn between ultimate safety and living in the real world. You do not poke metal handled screwdrivers into shaver sockets is one of those as I found out very young. However I was taught if you are suspicious about electrical safety, always keep one hand in your pocket and wear insulating soles and of course do not attempt live work in wet conditions.

I'm often stunned by the number of people who just cross railway lines when they use 3rd rail power. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just one screwdriver into one hole? You ought not to have felt anything if it was a bathroom socket.

Reply to
GB

Its photo of a typical domestic utility cupboard, with gas meter at one end and electricity incomer at the other, with the main cutout and meter mounted fairly low on the wall. However the main CU is fitted under the meter - right up against the end wall and almost on the floor. So it will be a right pain to work on unless you enjoy spending a couple of hours laying on a hard floor with you neck bent back at 90 degrees!

Reply to
John Rumm

That looks like they have had a virgin cable connection brought in - and as per usual they like to leave 15m of extra co-ax just for the hell of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

my daughter had a fault with her Virgin phone. They installed a new line by simply throwing it over the garden hedge. This was not accepted by the customer.

Reply to
charles

It never ceases to amaze me how any cable TV keeps working with the bits of wire laying on the ground getting kicked and pounded by random feet, planters etc.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They aren't a problem, they aren't 25,000 volts like overhead lines.

You can get electrocuted when you are over a foot away from the overhead lines but an inch is enough clearance on the 3rd rail power.

Reply to
dennis

In article , charles scribeth thus

Its all subbed out these days, was talking to an openreach crew the other day he had quite a few horror stories of what their subbies got up to as well and I've seen it myself too.

All in the end down to bad management;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

So long ago that it seems like another age, I was involved in regular night time testing of the Brush/GEC class 314 prototype (converted from a 2-car PEP) on LTS (now c2c).

The Brush and BR contingent would rendezvous at Loughborough station to catch the latest possible train to St Pancras, then make our way to East Ham station. It would still be far too early for our midnight start, so the adjacent Indian restaurant was our next call, followed for some by a cooling lager. (Different times...)

By this time, the last up train would have run, so only the down platform was open. We marched onto the station, donning our hi-vi as we went, straight off the ramp and across the underground lines. Stepping gingerly over two singles and a double - rather like show jumping, the doubles were the hardest. One of the BR guys (ex SR) was much more at home, but being rather short confessed to being concerned about catching the back of his standard-issue coat on a wet night.

All we had to do then was cross the LTS running lines and we were on route to the depot, ready to spend the night shuttling between East Ham and Southend.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They buried ours in conduit too, mind you this was when they were Comcast around our way many years ago now mind..

Reply to
tony sayer