Smart meter refusal question

Need to get an incomer replaced. Now call me cynical, but I expect the elec co will say your meter's obsolete and must be replaced, and we only have smart meters now. A smart meter is definitely not wanted. What's the legal position?
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Are the cutout and meter the same company's responsibility? #
My smartmeter was at least badged by the company I paid the bills to, who were the same as the DNO at one time, but I don't think they were at that time.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 03:16:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Shouldn't be a issue,
The incomer and main cutout are the DNO's responsibilty. Which stops at the output terminals of the cutout and the DNO supplied MET. The DNO don't care after that (provided the installation is "safe").
The meter and tails back to the main cutout etc is the responsibilty of who ever you pay for electricity, they don't care about the incomer of main cut out.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 20/07/2018 11:29, Dave Liquorice wrote:

And in any event consumers can just say no to smart meters. (Though AIUI that _may_ mean they install a smart meter with all its smart functions turned off.)
--
Robin
On Friday, 20 July 2018 11:30:01 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah! problem solved. Thank you.
NT

You don't have to have a 'smart meter' if you don't want one they are optional at the moment. You can just refuse.

You don't have to accept a smart meter.

On 20/07/2018 13:56, F wrote:

But they are all slamming up the standing charges so everyone is paying, with or without a smart meter.
On 19:44 20 Jul 2018, Andrew wrote:

Are standing charges lower if you have a smart meter?
Pamela wrote:

I don't believe so.

I was contacted a few weeks ago and informed that my meter certification was running out and that they'd need to replace it. The email included buttons for selecting an appointment, but did have a phone number for if you didn't want a smartmeter. They are now due tomorrow to recertify the existing meter instead.
As they are willing to do this, I presume that they are not allowed to force smartmeters on you even where the meter would normally be replaced.
SteveW
Steve Walker explained :

It seems unlikely they can certify them on site.. I would expect them to just swap a certified meter for your's.
On 20/07/2018 21:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It did seem rather odd to me, but that is what I was clearly told.
This evening however, I have had a text from the guy who is due tomorrow and that mentioned replacement. I queried it with him and yes, he is replacing both electricity and gas meters (gas wasn't mentioned before) and he confirms that they are non-smart ones.
SteveW
On 20/07/2018 21:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I think that formally the certification is (usually) extended for a _model_ of meter, rather than individual ones, based on how they've performed in practice and testing of a sample. And it's routine to extend them since new designs can only be certified for (from memory) a maximum of 10 years. I've certainly known them to just come round and label a meter for an extended life - possibly after checking visually that it's not damaged, but with no testing involved.
--
Robin
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A related Q. I'm proposing to split a house into two flats which means splitting the utilities and having extra meters fitted. Can the suppliers insist that the new meters are smart? I'd rather dumb metering that leave tenants free to choose their suppliers rather than an implied lock-in to the supplier who fitted the meter.
Bob Minchin wrote:

The lock-in is non-existent.
Andy Burns wrote:

It is at the moment if you want to retain "smartness" which is why I said "implied"
On Saturday, 21 July 2018 12:06:14 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:

You're not locked in at all. Change & the thing is dumb again. Having a dum b meter is the same after a supplier change. The real concern imho with sma rt meters is they don't always display totalled energy use, making it impos sible to question or correct dubious bills.
NT

All the ones I have seen read the total from the meter.
On 21/07/2018 10:26, Bob Minchin wrote:

If you have smart meters fitted and keep the remote bit you can read the meters from the road side. This may be an advantage for a landlord.