Eon Energy: estimated readings on price rise date, ignoring customer reading

use Eon for gas & electricity (for better or worse). Like many providers, they had a recent price rise (4 Feb in the case of Eon). I made the effort to read the meters on the 4 Feb, and rang the reading in. The 4 Feb readings are shown on my online account, so I know they have them.

I get a bill in April, and see that the Eon have estimated for 4 Feb. So a) they've ignored the real readings I submitted b) they've estimated - in their favour (putting a lower estimate, so more units are charged at the higher rate after the price rise).

So, check your bills!

Allan (No connection with Eon other than as a customer)

Reply to
Allan

In article , Allan writes

So call, complain and they will correct the error.

Reply to
fred

Yup. I've been with practically all the suppliers and Eon have been the straightest (so far!).

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I e-mailed them. It's only about £1 difference on a bill of £180, and it would cost them (& therefore their customers/shareholders) more to rectify. It's just the niggling annoyance of them ignoring the readings, estimating in their favour, and stacking up all those little £1 across their customer base (where it occurs).

Reply to
Allan

A plausible, plausible excuse

It will be interesting then to see how they'll handle the odd £1 or £2 the other way across their customer base arising from the unseasonably warm weather for nearly 1 month during the heating season.

As regards users own readings, I'm with OVO and have had to go outside up to my knees in snow to get a meter reading only to find they didn't use it. I now know better.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

They could just add a simple "miscellaneous credit" to your account as you are a continuing customer. They needn't send a cheque or do a BACS transfer.

Quite, don't let the bar stewards get away with it. They'd soon be sending the ballifs round if you owed 'em a couple of quid.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Another Dave wrote

Despite British Gas having some dubious practices Re. boiler quotes etc. I've found them to be the cheapest for dual fuel (for my particular usage) and using their web services to provide meter readings the bills have been mostly accurate. I provide meter readings about once per month so the estimate is never more than 4 weeks out of date. BG also email just before a bill is due asking for a meter reading and even if a bill has been produced giving them a new reading a few days afterwards results in a corrected bill.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Alan writes

Yup, that is pretty much my experience with them (we get our elec. via them)

Reply to
chris French

EON always use the reading I enter, provided I do it within five days of getting the email asking for a reading, unless the meter reader has been around.

The bill is produced about 30 seconds after I enter the readings.

Reply to
dennis

So I would be quite pleasantly surprised at how close their estimates are.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

How true. I was with E.ON and found them pretty hopeless but at least they replied to my letters, unlike EDF.

Reply to
Mark

Just had an email back from them, and they say they will produce a new bill with the correct readings. Fair enough. (But why couldn't they just do that in the first place without having to be chased!)

Allan

Reply to
Allan

I just discovered that too. On the website there are two ways to submit readings: one via the control panel when you've logged in, and another with the 'contact us -> meter reading' menu option on the website front page.

The latter doesn't appear to work, and it doesn't give any means of them contacting you if you get the details wrong. They say they're shutting down this method and want meter readings through the 'My Ovo' control panel. That does seem to work.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos