Smart meters

http://www.smartenergygb.org/national-rollout
So what's going on with these?
Why are we getting 50 million meters in half as many households? That's illogical.
How come my neighbour just got their old spinning disk meter replaced with a basic digital meter that isn't smart? They weren't asked about smart meters at all.
I've got a 3 year old digital economy 7 type meter, and I've never been asked.
Is it true that they're pointless, because although they can read the meter remotely, they still have to come out just as often to check them for safety anyway?
--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.

http://www.smartenergygb.org/national-rollout

1 x Gas and 1 x electric in most.
Mike
On 02/11/2015 11:28, Muddymike wrote:

They came to fit me one. But it would not transmit from the meter to my house, so they went away with their (meter0 tails between their legs! As I have no problem with my router, phone and modem working over the distance what are they using 2 cocoa tins and a bit of wet string?
No they are being stupid and not wanting to use the current to make a decent device that works. Who pays for the electricity that the meter uses to get its readings and transmit them. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
I have no gas, so they had better be careful they do not assume we all have gas. Brian
On 02/11/2015 10:51, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

They have three problems:
a) They may not be compatible with a new supplier. b) They can be used to cut you off. c) They could reveal your usage pattern which is a security issue.
--
Michael Chare

These national rollout ones presumably will be.

So can stupid meters.

Mindlessly silly.
On 02/11/2015 19:21, Rod Speed wrote:

How can someone cut you off remotely if you have a standard meter? To do this they would need access to the premises

You don't explain why you say this. Knowing when a property is unoccupied is clearly of use to those with criminal intent.
--
Michael Chare

They send someone around who turns it off.

Using that silly line, all you have to do to avoid ever being cut off is to never answer the door before checking whether its some ape from the electricity supply operation.

Because burglars don't check your electricity consumption and don't have any way to do that anyway even with a smartmeter.

Trivially easy to make it look like it isn't unoccupied.
On 03/11/2015 04:18, Rod Speed wrote:

They can force entry if required to.
They can also dig up the road and disconnect your supply and then its even more expensive to get it reconnected.

Most house have the meter OUTSIDE the house.

Best to let them disconnect the meter then bypass it without them knowing.
--
A guy says, "I remember the first time I used alcohol as a substitute for women."
"Yeah what happened?" asked the other.

Yes, that's why his line about smartmeters is silly.

They don't do it like that.

Indeed, it would be very expensive.
--
On going to war over religion:
You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend. -- Richard Jeni

No, it's just easier for them to do, and just as easy to bypass.

No it isn't. Oh look, Mrs Smith does the washing on a Tuesday. So?! That doesn't mean she's in. Most people's heating is gas, so not detectable with an electric meter. And some people like me leave it on 24/7 so you can't tell a thing.
--
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.

On 02/11/2015 20:25, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I would prefer to argue with a man at the door rather than hot wire an electricity supply, which might then lead to an accusation of theft.

My electricity consumption is clearly less when I am on holiday. If you knew the details of my electricity consumption it would be easy to tell when I am likely to be away.
--
Michael Chare

Burglars don't work like that.

Everybody's consumption varies for all sorts of reasons. If I was a burglar I wouldn't take your low consumption as enough proof you weren't in. Better to watch your house for vehicle activity (which most people store outside).
--
More and more cities are instituting a 10:30 PM curfew for everyone younger than 18.
Experts say keeping teens indoors at night is the only way to make the streets safe for adults.

Didn't work for my burglar. I deliberately parked the car on the street a couple of streets away, walked back, lurked out of view in the house, grabbed the bugger when I could hear that he was inside the house. Called the cops with him wriggling in hand, had the female cop start whacking him in the chest when he said something I didn't quite catch to her, watched him load his pants.
Then when down the cop shop giving them a statement, his mum showed up and was abusing the cops at the cop of her voice as she stormed in thru the front door.
One of our local abos.

How did you know the burglar was coming so you could plan the attack?
Tip: uk.rec.cycling - there's a load of idiots in there that need correcting.
--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy

They had been in the day before I live next door the a park that quite a few of the kids going to the local highschool walk thru on the way to school and noticed that some of them were looking rather obviously at my place as they walked past, something they don't normally do.
I didn't lose much, mostly really weird stuff like a cup full of biros etc that sits on the main desk the PC monitor sits on, a full bottle of scotch, frozen pizzas out of the freezer and stuff like that. Had to be kids.
So it was rather obvious who had robbed the place the day before, so I decided to lay in wait to see what eventuated.
Turns out that they had looted something like 10 places the first day, their cousins who normally live out on the edge of town in a cluster of houses of what you lot call council housing, had stayed overnight in the house of one of their relos in town and went on a burglary spree.
On another occasion the cops rang me on Saturday morning to say that they had caught a couple who had been quite literally wandering around the street with a wheel barrow helping themselves to what they could find out of the cars in the street. I'd been out to a pissup the night before, in the days before I brewed my own beer. I had got some beer from the drive thru bottle shop. The just open the passengers door and put what you want on the passenger's seat. I had forgotten to lock that door when I got home after the pissup, in the days before central locking. They didn't get much, just a torch etc.

Those are usually too rabid to bother with like the weatherlawyer wanker.