The saga of my new smart meters

Two years ago, my then Gas and Electricity supplier "Eon" asked me to install new smart meters. They told me of the wonderful benefits to me that would entail, and when taking a line from this NG I refused they screamed, wheedled, had a tizzy fit and sat in a corner and sulked. Eventually when in a subtle and toneless way they threatened me with unknown financial consequence I succumbed. Ten days later they fitted the meters, gas and electric, and as the fitter left promised me that nirvana had arrived for me and the future was fantastic.

Five days later a man arrived to read the meters. "What do you need to do that for" said I "they are smart meters aren't they" "Yes they are" said he, "and they need to be read". Using the tone of voice that said non-technical elderly idiots like me, should sit in the corner and drool and let the world get on with it.

On two occasions I was requested to send photographs of the meters to sort out "anomolies" that had unfortunately arisen with these wonderful, state of the art meters.

Last October I changed suppliers to "PurePlanet" who last month requested two meter readings, to sort out "anomolies" I assumed. I sent them and made a mistake, which they asked me to correct using photographs of the meter readings. Why can't you get them direct I asked in all innocence, because they're not working they replied. Also they said, your gas meter is not a smart meter, and we can't get readings from it or the electric meter.

Now I'm 83 years of age, and grovelling around on my knees to take photographs of so-called smart meters set two feet off the floor, is not top of my priorities. But, girding my loins I got to my knees on two occasions and took two photographs of each of my wonderful, state of the art, smart meters. One of the electronic output display and a full view of the whole meter for identification purposes. I sent them off and told my supplier that would be the last time I did this for them. Any future "anomalies" they could sort out by sending a meter reader around to read these wonderful state of the art, etc, etc f---ing smart meters.

And so the matter now rests. The moral of the story children is this, that when the nice man asks you if you would like a nice smart meter, kick him in the balls and run away and tell a policeman.

Peter

Reply to
Peter James

Thanks Peter, I have been aware of the shortcomings of smart meters for some time. As a consequence I will not have one fitted. I take readings every week and enter those into a spreadsheet and send monthly totals to my Electricity supplier. No gas here so quite straight forward.

Reply to
jon

A fine example of Weltschmerz ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

you were "lucky"

when I responded positively to the possibility of a smart meter (that they urgently wanted to fit), I was told the next available appointment was in 3 months time.

So I took that, and then the buggers didn't turn up

and I had to ask for my 25 pound compensation, like they were doing me a favour

Reply to
tim...

We used to get pestered with offers from EDF to fit a smart meter, which we just ignored. We changed to a new supplier (Octopus) and the subject has never arisen.

Reply to
Halmyre

never had any trouble at all with my gas and lecy smart meters......had them a few years with British Gas...gas outside and lecy inside nobody has ever read them since they were installed ........bills have never went up and I got a £50 Amazon bribe to get them fitted which paid for half a henry hoover

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

They have given up asking me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes this whole thing has been a fiasco. First they fitted meters where the software could not be modified for the different companies. Second meter, it has security issues so we cannot use it in smart mode. Third and 'final' meter, works, but still issues with readings due to lack of signal, and the audio hand units are very thin on the ground Indeed when somebody I know was wondering why his gas meter bit was not able to be read, it turned out it ran on a D cell hidden near the meter, and nobody had put a D cell in the damned thing. I am remembering a series on the TV called cowboys, which revolved around a bunch of builders who through inept work and misunderstandings cocked up every job they ever attempted. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It is not for the blind of course, but as yet no meters have come. I only have electricity too. The message in my last post to this thread was mostly gleaned from others who did manage to get smart meters installed. Apparently in a couple of years the existing main and economy 7 meters will be at end of life and will need refurbishing, and I suspect that will be when I will get offered the great smart meter with talking had controller that eats batteries. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

We have economy 7 with a meter that has supposedly reached end of life. We've had a few tries by our suppliers to change the meter but they've been pretty half-hearted. I suspect that as we're electricity only and mobile coverage is pretty bad here they're not desperate to do it anyway.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes.

When we had ours replaced a few years ago it involved 'the gas board' coming out 3 times to fix leaks caused. And one callout from a plumber that I paid because I needed it doing right then and there. I've ended up with completely new pipework inside and out but that's not really the point.

And when we changed supplier more recently the meters went into some sort of error mode and couldn't be read. Much time wasted by email and phone over a number of months to get that sorted.

So personally i've lost interest in being a money saving expert.

Reply to
R D S

why on earth anyone thought that power companies would want to spend money to allow their customers to save money, is beyond me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Building designers do that as well, especially to increase profits....hence the 'cladding' fiasco.

Reply to
jon

I have Octopus and note that is says on the top of my e-mails "register for a smart meter", but as you say no real pressure.

However as there are government targets for installing these things so you may find that by not having one you pay more for your energy.....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

The attraction for power companies to invest in smart meters is to be able to manipulate the tariff/time allocation to suit their profit targets.

Reply to
jon

The only advantage smart meter give is to a supplier who wants to cut you off remotely.

There is no other advantage to anyone else whatsoever.

We can deduce this from the absolute cobblers they try to get the gullible (sorry OP) to sign up for them ...

"...they save you energy ..."

"Right, well before you fit one for gas or electric, I'll have a smart water meter that saves me water"

"...well not like that ..."

"Goodbye"

Rinse and repeat.

Still if you like the shiny, knock yourselves out. I am sure there are some householders that make inspecting the smart meters a ritual for all new visitors.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

"Smart meters are fitted with an internal antenna which can be replaced by an external antenna fitted to the outside of the cabinet or further away to improve reception and transmission.

The individual transceivers typically operate in the 902?928 MHz and 2.4-2.48 GHz bands, utilising both frequency-hopping and spread spectrum techniques which are controlled by a wireless mesh network overlay.

Some meters use cellular data modems at 900 MHz, 1.8 GHz or 2.1 GHz, the same technology used in mobile phones. The meter reading data is carried over the existing mobile networks in the same way as a call or text is sent."

The antenna for your meter should be fitted some place where the RF can make contact with other meters.

A typical time ours don't work.

- Farmhouse Large property, too far to neighbours. Takes meter-reader two years to show up :-)

Paul

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Peter James pretended :

When asked to provide a photo (never yet for my meters), I decide whether I have or have not got a camera to provide a photo, dependent on how helpful I happen to feel to the photo requirer.

No one should expect you to have a digital camera, or a printer, or even access to a computer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

and no problems with mine either, apart from I keep swapping suppliers and the meters just don't work for the remote reading for new suppliers.

Usually they have managed to swap them to compatible ones, after many months of waiting, often just in time for me to move to a new supplier, when they stop working again.

I have been with my present supplier with none compatible Smart Meters now for 15 months, they are remarkably slow off the mark to fit new meters, or perhaps they have heard I tend to move suppliers, soon after they fit new meters?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

My experience with BG is they don't bother to get anyone to read the (non-smart) meter for 18 to 24 months and then when the meter reader calls and you're out they send a threatening letter (with red print) saying that they will get a court order allowing the meter reader to kick your door down to gain access if you don't make the appropriate appointment.

So, even with a smart meter - you haven't had it long enough for the meter reader to call :)

Reply to
alan_m