The saga of my new smart meters

I am on an E7 tariff that has the same rates for day and night. A good choice for many who still have the E7 meter but do not use storage heaters. Varying the rates is the simplest remedy for a provider who does not want to provide cheap electricity at night.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

See also: solar panels

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Try deleting your cookies. You might have one identifying you as an existing customer.

Reply to
Andrew

Jimmy Stewart ... used his keyboard to write :

I never deal with salesmen, I use Martin Lewis's site, to show me the best deals each year and simply swap every time I find a better deal. Over the years I have saved hundreds, it only takes me a few minute to swap suppliers.

The Smart Meters are not really a problem - I take a weekly reading of E, G and W, for my own interest to put in a spreadsheet. At the same time as I enter the details in the sheet, I fill the same readings in on my suppliers web site.

Likewise, I have no time for them and they get the same response from me. It would be waste of time talking to them anyway, they could not come close to matching what I pay for E and G, or the landline phone, or my mobile service.

You are stuck with what ever rates the E and G offer, but I always negotiate for phone/broadband and my mobile service costs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Only tunnels that have a dip in the middle though, like the Mersey? tunnels.

There are short level tunnels that the M4 passes through at BrynGlas where an LPG leak would just ?pour back into the river.

Reply to
Andrew

Are you posting to uk.d-i-y using telepathy ??

Reply to
Andrew

Chris J Dixon used his keyboard to write :

+1

Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

My present E&G contract, was due to end in March. In November the ML site suggested my present supplier offered a slightly better tariff than the one I presently had with them, so I rang my supplier and asked them to move me over to the new tariff. Not only did it save me a few pounds from November to March, but it has tied them into a fixed price deal with me lasting through to November, which saves me around £100 compared to moving as I would have done in March.

I don't use the compare sites, because they take a back hander from the suppliers. The ML site is more honest and list all the suppliers, irrespective of whether they get a back hander or not.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Where "cookies" is a euphemism.

Some sites "request you enable cookies" when cookies are already enabled. They use other things like DOM storage. There are a number of ways the sites already work around cookie blockers. They will even abuse the history or places features (hammer your browser), in order to store information by nefarious means.

There are things to clean out. Many things to clean out :-) And probably not an actual cookie, because that's "so 1980's".

Sites like this one, allow a person to test their hand at "removing evidence" from a browser.

One sage suggestion on that site...

"So far, I've found that using Private Browsing..."

Try visiting the web site in a Private window and see if the information exchange is less biased.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It can be the same with car insurance.

Reply to
jon

I'm surprised you don't have solar PV too, so that you can stick your FIT's on your neighbours bills too.

If Boris and Princess nut nuts are serious about so-called decarbonising the economy then expect those green taxes that pump up electricity bills to be moved in whole or part over to gas bills instead.

Reply to
Andrew

And annuity rates, but sex used to affect those until the EU intervened.

Reply to
Andrew

Not with me, I use a volatile system drive.

Reply to
jon

And guess what, all LPG converters have to be approved for you to get insurance, but only some were approved for the government grant scheme work - and they all quoted a price that was higher than the non-grant scheme companies, that just happened to be higher by the amount of the grant! What a waste of public money.

Reply to
Steve Walker

No luck there, I even tried a different browser with all cookies cleared.

The site already knows what supplier I'm with -it's part of the information the site saves along with my personal details.

I wonder if there is a bug in their software by not giving the prices from my existing supplier that are more expensive than my current deal (which runs out in 12 days time). Prices have gone up, including Avro, since I took out a contract 12 months ago but Avro are still offering deals competitive with what the cheapenergyclub site is offering as best buys.

I'm not too worried as I have already signed up with Avro for another 12 months and I can change or swap at any time without incurring an early termination fee.

Reply to
alan_m

I have worked in places where any phone with a camera was banned for security reasons - limiting people to good old Nokias and the like. I have also worked in places where smart phones cannot be taken into meeting rooms, as there is no way to be sure that they are not infected with something that covertly evesdrops on the discussions.

Reply to
Steve Walker

A lot of call centres and establishments where personal data can be on screen are the same. Phones in lockers outside.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've just changed car insurers for a policy starting in a few weeks time. My renewal quote from my current insurer was ONLY up £6 from last year and I thought I got a reasonable deal then.

5 minutes of searching revealed a few better deals at 10% less, one of which I've taken. Some companies are offering some of the optional extras as included in the cheaper price as well as no compulsory excess etc. (but only for one year - small print - so an inflated renewal quote next year).

The lesson is that even if the rise in premium looks rather insignificant it's probably because the market is more competitive and other insurers may have cut their prices and/or offered more for the money.

Reply to
alan_m

It will soon be the same with electric cars. The tax obtained from the owning and running of any type of car will be normalised, and not to the current low of a electric car.

Reply to
alan_m

I could work there with my 1100

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

less hassle is worth paying for ..... but and I'm normally cheap

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...