The saga of my new smart meters

they expect you to have smart phone and to whats app it too them

Conversations of:

"sorry I can't do that"

"Oh it's simple all you have to do ..."

"No, I mean my phone isn't capable of doing that"

are usually met with incredulity

I know that there are more than a dozen in my block who don't have email. I haven't managed a survey of who does/doesn't have a smart phone

Reply to
tim...

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that I've now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a phone for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's what they told us. Out of calibration.

I called them. I don't want a smart meter I said, they don't work round here.

Pause.

Confirmation of my belief - they didn't work for some of my neighbours.

Them: "OK, we don't need to do anything"

Me: "But you said it's out of calibration"

Them: "Doesn't matter".

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I know someone who has that combined with a Tesla powerwall.

He's complained he can't sell the power back at peak rates :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

More fool you.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Fred

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi without bothering your mobile provider?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No reason you cant. I do that every update

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK. Thanks. I have an otherwise unused Moto e5.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

well check that it can download a free app from the playstore simless. Or pop a payg sim in it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I use Here Wego and all it needs is downloaded maps and GPS, there's no need for web connectivity while using it as a satnav.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yup.

Only SIMless, you can't get 3/4G when out and about (or traffic updates).

Of course you could tether it to your "real" phone, if you want.

I suspect this will be a thing moving forward - thus depressing the need for the new shiny. My 5-year old Wileyfox Swift is still comparable to anything new today.

At one point I had about 5 smartphones from Windows CE era onwards. They'd all be serviceable now, if they took a f****ng standard charger.

SWMBO has been due a new phone for 18 months too (Tesco). The only reason she hasn't take the offer is their new phones aren't as large screened as her current Pixi 4 6". And her primary need is big screen.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a Vodafone sim. It means breaking it down to the smaller size and then carefully reassembling:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

er. Unlikely with an Alkatel one touch:-)

I seem to be a recipient of my gardener's *last year* phones but the Alkatel does all I need for farming and working from home.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

YMMV

WiFi works fine, so maps etc are just downloaded at home. Or, at a push, a supermarkets "Free" WiFi.

Just a little addon ... before I repurposed it, I put LineageOS on it, instead of the Google-Tesco abomination they call "Android". So it's not feeding anything back to Big Brother.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

Reply to
Robin

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've renewed with Avro (after checking other suppliers) for 4 years running now. I'm happy with their service, competative fixed for one year prices, no pressure for smart meters, I read the meters every month and enter them via their website, sometimes a meter man turns up (I guess just to check). Just don't let them do an auto renewal at the end of the year, their standard tariff is a lot more expensive. Phone/email them and they'll quote you their cheapest tariff (they add new tariffs very frequently).

Reply to
Davidm