Smart meters

I have just ordered a Smart meters install for the 20th of May. How can I tap into the data via the PC's?
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:49:11 +0100

Follow the instructions provided at the time.
--
Davey.

Most of the suppliers seem totally ignorant about anything to do with them, which is most disappointing as some years ago I asked to be kept informed about talking interface devices and software to run on the computer that was able to be used by the blind. It now seems, reading between the lines that only the supplied touvch screen interface with no speech or tactile feedback will be able to talk to the meter for security reasons, all the other interfacing will be done via a websieite which talks to the device over the mobile network or down the mains cables depending on the type. They seem to be saying at least to me that the direct connections might have security or other issues if 'the public' is allowed to hack into it so to speak. Still, only time will tell. I fully expect that a letter will arrive out of the blue despite my rep at the company handing stuff by email and it will get fitted and I'll completely throw the installer by being blind and not having a smart phone for the app to run on. Brian
--
----- -

So the reality is now appearing. They do absolutely *nothing* useful for the consumer, just give the supplier more control.
--
Chris Green
·

I have just had a smart meter fitted, and find that it has a bi-directional optical interface. It seems that all smart meters have this, and can be accessed by a matching unit with a magnet to stick it onto the surrounding iron ring. It uses a slow protocol, and an interface can be constructed out of simple components. I think simple readings may use standardised codes, but anything more complicated, and commands to configure the meter, all require passwords and are different for each manufacturer.
--
Dave W

"Brian Gaff" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Dave W wrote:

They may all have one, but it's not exclusively a "smart" meter interface, electronic meters have had that for many years ...

... and it tells you how much electricity you are consuming, wow!
A clamp ammeter with a PC interface would be easier. quicker and (probably) cheaper.
--
Chris Green
·

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

But not definitive ...

What? Do you mean it might not agree exactly with the company meter? Why would that matter?
--
Chris Green
·

"bi-directional optical interface" ??
Does that mean it has Windows installed?
J.

Don't be silly. It has an infra-red LED and Photodetector on the front.
--
Dave W

On Monday, 2 May 2016 10:49:24 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

I thought it meant double glazed windows installed :)

Thanks for that - it opened my eyes to Another John's joke. :)
--
Dave W

Brian Gaff a écrit :

Part of the online signup, asked me how often I wanted the data update, but gave no explanation. The options were someting like - 30min, daily, or weekly. I chose the 30 minutes.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They might not have any facility to do that, other than exporting from the supplier's website, I haven't had time for part3 of this
<http://andyburns.uk/smartmeters
plus it's highly unlikely to be applicable to other types of meters.
Andy Burns a écrit :

My suppliers website suggests the data is accessible via a PC.
Thanks, BTW it was a local friend of mine who wrote PuTTY.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Well, say thanks to Simon from me ...
On 29/04/2016 20:31, Andy Burns wrote:

+1
BTW tell him scrolling is a bit slow on Linux with a big screen.
Andy

via the PC's what?
tim

Graeme