Smart meters

Thanks for that - it opened my eyes to Another John's joke. :)

Reply to
Dave W

Received a letter today from Scottish Power asking me to make an appointment to have my Smarts installed. Came with 2 leaflets, one of which 'The benefits of smart meters' quotes customers responses to the fitting of SMs including '85% felt they have a better understanding of what their (sic) spending on energy'. So if 85% of those surveyed don't know the difference between 'their' and 'they're' why should I trust their opinions? The leaflets are very short on details as to how I will benefit, especially as I currently (no pun intended) get a discount for self reading my meters. OK so it's only £2.20 a quarter but 'every little helps' I'm told! Also there's no indication whether the fitting is compulsory or optional.

Reply to
The Other John

Currently optional. The non smart one fitted for me is about the size of a school pencil case. Without reading glasses the display is illegible.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it is ever made compulsory, what processes will everyone have to go through before, eventually, cutting you off? (I can't see any other obvious endpoint.) Does the supplier have some right to access your property for non-safety reasons? So if you simply don't make yourself available, and don't let them in even if they find you at home, what happens?

Reply to
polygonum

Currently if the meter reader cannot obtain access the supply company will send a threatening letter stating they will apply for legal access for _safety_ reasons. This can be avoided if you make an appointment for the meter to be read. I'm sure that the person subsequently sent to read the meter is not qualified in any way to access the safety of the supply or installation, in his 10 second inspections of the dials on the meter.

Reply to
alan_m

I got a notice with one of my paper bills from EDF asking me to volunteer for a smart meter, but it said they are optional. I did not see any benefit to myself so ignored it. Recently I got a phonecall asking for an appointment to have a smart meter fitted. Before I gave a date, I said "I thought they were optional". The man said "yes", then "can I ask what your objection is?". I said I thought the meter could be switched off via radio, and I didn't want the risk. (I always pay my bills instantly but electronics can fail). The man knew nothing of this, and said the meter just reported its readings. So on that basis I allowed them to install it.

At least I will no longer have to go through the rigmarole of getting a bill for a larger amount because nobody has read the meter, then submitting my reading on line to get a second accurate bill.

Reply to
Dave W

My gas and electric meters certainly have remote disconnect, I suspect they all do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

What make and model of meter did they fit?

Reply to
Davey

"Their" is correct, as in "belonging to them" "They're" = "they are" which would be nonsensical.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Darn, where's the delete button? Just realised I misread your quote. Doh! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The end point is energy demand side management. Coming soon after everybody has a smart meter fitted.

It'll be interesting to see how it fits in with domestic solar PV power.

Reply to
harry

Why don't you have an online account and submit your own meter readings?

Reply to
harry

No need for the delete button. The fools obviously should not have inserted the unnecessary 'what'.

Reply to
Richard

Bollocks! Correctly expanded the quote would read '..what they are spending...'

Reply to
The Other John

Agreed. The way to make 'their' work would be to say: "...what their spending is..."

Reply to
Davey

Yes. The meter installer confirmed that their interest is in peak shifting by financially discouraging domestic peak usage:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry Tim, I fired off my riposte before seeing your follow up. Just castrate my unnecessarily rude post! :)

Reply to
The Other John

My question was, how will "they" ensure that everybody has a smart meter fitted?

What level of compulsion will be applied to the refuseniks?

Reply to
polygonum

Well since the government wants it done I expect they will disconnect you.

Reply to
dennis

... but they'll need access to your premises to do that.

Reply to
cl