Smart meters = yet more big brother

Some smart meters have the ability to control sections but the house wiring would have to be divided into sections (presumably essential and not essential or high load low load or some such thing)

Reply to
F Murtz

Even 1977 is 40 years ago, stick on 5 years to allow for a child memorising events that they may notice means you have to be around 45 to remember it.

It's like those of us who were in teens and twenties during the long hot Summer of 76, we remember it as nothing quite like it has occured since but to those under 40 it is as remote as WW2 was to us no matter how much our parents talked about it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

To be honest, they should have done that from the outset. But instead they are try to sell it to UK public as an advantage of energy saving and elimination of estimated bills and making them pay for it too. I'm pretty certain the French govt are mandating smart meters on their rollout programme.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The real reason is to cope with intermittent renewable energy. We will get charged more when the wind don't blow. What we have today is only temporary.

Reply to
harry

Some people didn't have gas at the time. People used to say, "Have you been converted?" as if to Roman Catholicism.

Reply to
Max Demian

Smart meters cost much more to run mainly becuase of their use of the mobile network. They are not charged for directly but the operators will have to recover their costs from their customers.

They allow operators to charge more during periods of peak demand, so you could find that the cost of cooking your dinner rises.

With monthly DD payments estimated meter readings are much less of a problem, and many operators allow you to submit your meter reading online if you want to.

There would be some sense in having smart meters which customers could access via their Wifi.

Reply to
Michael Chare

our nextdoor neighbours were away when the checks on boilers were made. As a consequence, they had no conversion kit delivered, They had no heating for about a week.

Reply to
charles

Sadly I don't think that many if any will do this. They talk to a bespoke display unit but I don't think you can get any data out of that. furthermore I don't think it lets you see what and when data is being taken by the supplier. IF when time variant pricing takes hold, it rather suggests that you wont be able to read the meter manually or automatically to verify what your bill says in terms of x units at A tariff and y units at B tariff and so on.

This is something that would concern me and an important principle being lost.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When we lived in Michigan, we had central air conditioning fitted to our house. We were offered the choice of interruptable or non-interruptable, with a price difference when billed. The controller was the same, and could receive a radio command to shut off when the electric company was running low on available power, usually during hot periods when everyone was using air conditioning. If ours was ever shut off like this, we didn't notice it.

Reply to
Davey

According to:

"Who will be able to see energy consumption data?

Consumers will be able to see their near real time energy consumption data on their In-Home Display and to download more detailed historic data from their home network. "

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Maybe but there has been discussion in other fora of the lack of information on the communication protocol from people wanting to do just that. There is a revised standard for smart meters about to be rolled out about now and so maybe this is more accessible to home computers.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I can sort of do that now without a smart meter, if I give my meter reading s once a month or 1 in 3 I can go to the npower site and they can show what they've done. Which is a couple of simple pie charts and predictions on wh at next years bill might be. I assume if a smartmeter as installed it would send data back to npower who would them create a pie chart from that, rather than getting data from the meter myself. One energy company was employing a friend of mine to write an app that show ed energy usauge over the hour day week month etc.. never got complteted be cause they couldnlt provide enough data on demand. He didn't have a smart m eter so the test data was downloaded from their site.

Reply to
whisky-dave

IME there was no question of using any appliance on other than the fuel for which it was set up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Wouldn't that entail giving the meter your Wi-Fi password, enabling the supplier to access any shared drives on your network?

Reply to
Max Demian

...but not the consumption of an individual appliance, and certainly not the consumption integrated over time, such as the average consumption of a fridge, or other appliance controlled by a thermostat.

I can do that by timing the number of seconds for the disc (of my old fashioned magnetic meter) to make a complete revolution and dividing it into 21,600 to yield the total (instant) consumption in watts.

Reply to
Max Demian

Planned power cuts seem rather Third World to me. We haven't had them since the Three Day Week.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not presently no. But it could be done with smart appliances.

But it could be done with smart appliances. I have a standaloan plugin unit I brought from maplin 10 years ago that can do it.

I have a meter with 2 LCDs displaces but it;s not a smart meter.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You don't own the meter - so if the supplier wants to change it don't see how you could stop it. Especially if outside in a services box - they wouldn't even need to knock your door.

Reply to
rick

If the meter is outside, put a lock on the door. One supplier phoned me and asked if I would like to have one. I just declined. Historically smart meters have not worked properly with new suppliers.

Reply to
Michael Chare

they do, as they are obliged to check that when turning your power/gas back on does not leave an appliance in a dangerous state that could cause a fire

tim

Reply to
tim...