Smart Meter Nonsense

Unlikely that an auto-recloser will only be feeding one house unless that house is the only place supplied on the end of a long line, think miles.

Auto-reclosers tend to be near the primary substation that is feeding the 11 kV distribution lines for an area. Those lines can be tens of miles long and made of multiple sections with interconnects between different lines. Some interconnects may have an auto-recloser but most are just an manual air switch. Not sure how they "phone home" but as they are all connected back to the primary substation the obvious way to achieve the first hop is over the power lines.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which is why I was questioning whether they would know about Toothless Dave.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

The 11kV overhead here has a breaker at least 1 mile from the nearest substation although there is a spur feeding this end of the village and a transformer feeding two isolated houses. I don't know how it operates but the maintenance crew always complain about poor telephone signals.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's within the range of "close". B-)

An auto-recloser is a box up a pole withe the three phases looping through it. An air switch is an open frame work with the three phases passing through it (or not if it's left normally open...) this has a bar running down the pole to a locked lever handle to open/close it.

The crews complain of poor mobile signals as they have to get clearance from the DNOs control rrom before they start flicking switches on/off. Only the control room has a complete picture of which switches are open or closed or which sections have faults or which sections are under maintenance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Auto-recloser then. Family history has it that one of father's cows got its head jammed in the pylon (welded gantry and air switch) next to what used to be a substation and caused some interesting pyrotechnics. A protective fence was hurriedly erected.

Not using Vodafone then:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It is no use to me for ID whenever I change to a new client. The industry I am in only accepts original paper bills when carrying out security checks.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

How does your industry tell the difference between a bill printed by the supply company on their laser printer and on printed on the customers' laser printer. I agree that using an ink jet is a dead give away.

Reply to
charles

Yes, only banks stoop that low ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

With most printers it is possible to identify which printer it was printed on including personal ones. I doubt if they perform the necessary checks or even know you can do it.

Reply to
dennis

Even if they do, how are they expected to know that CheapBlueSparks Ltd uses a printer with a specific serial number?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No mobile company has good coverage everywhere. Why the f*ck can't they just share?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You don't imagine that banks print their own statements, do you???? It's all subcontracted out.

Reply to
Huge

And I don't think they use laser printers, far too slow, with all that fusing nonsense. Certainly my Barclays statement is decidedly fuzzy, dotty and grey, rather than the pin sharp black you get from a laser.

Lets do some scaling maths again. Say 5 million, 4 page both sides printed, statements per month. That's 40,000,000 sides/month, 30 day month, means 1,333,333 sides/day or 15.43 sides/second, Second not minute...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When I worked for Xerox, we used to sell laser printers into that market. Google "Docutech", if you're interested. Some printing companies were replacing offset litho machines with them. It appears that Docutech is obsolete now, but they still seem to sell similar machines, e.g.,

It used to be the one market where Xerox could compete against the Japanese.

Reply to
Huge

One magnetic drum printer could manage that, but you need about four men to operate it, loading and unloading paper.

Newspapers print near that speed and you can print variable content on some of them even if most content is fixed plates. They use rolls weighing more tha a ton and are a lot bigger and more expensive.

Of course no bank is likely to have only one printer and they may well outsource it to one or more print firms with lots of printers.

Reply to
dennis

It wouldn't take many of these

ITIU OCR to check its doing the right thing too.

Reply to
dennis

A slightly less tedious video, with some facts:

500 feet per minute, two up, in "productivity mode" 1000 sides/minute 16.6/sec. That's the sort of thing, followed by the automatic stuffer and sealer... B-)

You'd need two for the example above as that requires 15.43 sides/sec

24/7, no servicing breaks or breakdowns of any sort.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice