Technically this is D-I-Y but of the self built computer kind.......

Right I want to take advantage of the January sales and want to build my own computer.

I got a new 4K monitor for Chrimbo, and I can re-use mt current graphics card which is an AMD Radeon R9 280X card. (I know the card does not currently support WDR or WCG even though the monitor does)

I also got a new Cherry mouse, Cherry KB and wacom graphics tablet as part of black friday deals.

I intend to re-use the tower case & PSU and have two brand new DVD drives in the loft and the existing Samsung EVO SATA3 512GB SSD.

I already have a retail licence for Windows 10 professional and I now have Office 365 and a soon to be installed gigabit fibre to the home.

All I need is a half decent motherboard such as supermicro, Asus or gigabyte or ASRock...

at least 16 GB DDR4 ram (as 2 off 8 GB sticks)

An Intel or Ryzen processor

A Samsung EVO M2 SSD as the boot drive

my usual sources for PC parts are:

Scan.co.uk Ebuyer DABS

Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

Reply to
No Name

Amazon should be on your list.

Reply to
GB

OK. But you haven't specified what you want to use it for!

Gaming or very high end AI you need a good graphics card but for anything else the built in Pentium 2D graphics may actually be faster!

The right choice depends on the application programs you use.

Almost everybody - they are desperate to convert stock back into cash! I have seen the same kit at +/-30%.

Annoyingly one of the things I was marking went up 30% in the sales :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

Try:

It covers many (but not all of) the major suppliers and lets you spec a build that gives the cheapest vendor for each part, checking compatibility along the way.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

With IT kit there a massive shortages at the moment - so stuff is hard to get and prices high.

I was ordering stuff to upgrad my "everyday" PC just before Christmas and stuff was going out of stock almost as fast as I could get it into the virtual trolley!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep, as I've posted before, 4 items I purchased on Amazon BEFORE the black friday "sales" were cheaper than during the sales!

Reply to
alan_m

At the bottom ?

Reply to
Andrew

No, that's reserved for Wish

Reply to
Andy Burns

Novatech, Portsmouth ?.

Reply to
Andrew

DIIK. But uk.comp.homebuilt is over there ---->

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I suppose it depends how old your peripherals are. I recently fitted a new MB when changing to Win10 and found many wouldn't work with it.

Ebay is probably as good as any, and easy to compare prices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News