Electronics D-I-Y

Perhaps a caveat is needed here, and that is, if you have old as-new stocks of wire-ended components, (with the possible exception of electrolytics), then hang onto them like gold dust!

Also, if you're moving in the direction of SMD, then the easily-installed 1206 former larger sizes are something to get hold of while you can.

My regret is that a couple of years ago in a clear-out, I binned all my "geranium" semiconductors and RTL logic chips.

(Not sure, however, if that applies to the 12AT7 up in the box in the loft, although if I remember correctly, the filament connections were on pins 4, 5 & 9, giving you the choice of either 6V3 or 12V heaters)

</WAFFLE> :-)
Reply to
Gareth Evans

RTL? Bloody hell, I was already building stuff in DTL in 1968.

Reply to
newshound

I've not had a problem sourcing any discrete components as yet. Via mail order. The days of having several shops round here that sold them long gone, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mean germanium, probably. Are you saying they don't make wire ended bits any more, somebody does cos I've seen them in some of the wall warts recently purchased, usually silicon transistors, small but higher wattage resistors etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes way back when I had sight I built a heathkit short wave radio and it used dual gate mosfets. Good fun lining it up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes unfortunately the likes of tandy and maplin put the little guys out of business and now they have both gone off the high street and rates are high, the little guys are unlikely to return. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Some things are more difficult to get and come at a price watch out.

74LS76

£6.60

~£4 for five but £7 P&P

We had to scap these from a lab because we couldn't get them reasonably priced and that was over 5 years ago.

They used be be 25p or so.

Reply to
whisky-dave

perhaps my stocks of original TTL from 1973 might be worth something (First computer attempt, own instruction set, 8bit)

I wonder at which institution you are a lecturer? (My alma mater was Essex '69 - '72)

Reply to
Gareth Evans

Russia is a happy hunting ground. The Old Soviet semiconductors are usually straight copes of western components and work just as well. And they are usually a few pence.

Rambo

Yes check the BBC website there might be an antigues roadshow near you soon.

I've never been a lecturer.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I wouldn't send my CC details to a russian company.

But if anyone can provoide a link to some reasonably priced 74LS76 then I'd be interested, we'd need about 100 to start with.

But personally I;d prefer we teach our students how to use cpmponents that are currently easy to get a a little more modern. I;m pushing to go exclusively to the HC series. Not interested in the 7400, or 74LS, or 74S or 74F or 74ALS.

Some chips/components are getting difficult to get as 'through hole"

Reply to
whisky-dave