Roofing Woodwork...D-I-Y ?

Can anyone recommend a book or website that gives clear instructions on how to build a roof and ?

I intend to do some roof alterations and build a porch that will fit into an existing roof.( With valleys)

What I`m looking for is the correct and accurate method for the measuring and cutting of the various lengths and angles/ bird-mouths etc . when creating the rafters etc.

I`m a reasonable D-I-Y`er so I feel fairly confident that I should be able to construct it providing I know ( and understand) the correct way to do it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Reteplav

Have a look through this site:

BigWallop

try

it states, when you buy a roofing square, you get instructions on it's use.

I've seen other websites but can't find the urls at the moment. Try a google search for Cut Roof or similar wording

Cut roofing is relatively straight forward. When starting out it is almost inevitable that you will make some cutting errors.

Once you get you angles right, cut some plywood jigs to mark out the rest.Make sure everything is level and plumb as appropriate.

Even if you cut to fit on a drunken roof, laying tiles on a roof that is on the piss is a real pain.

When you fit the tiling battens, make sure you gauge off the top edges. Battens are notoriously variable the width and if you gauge on the gaps you get tiling that wanders along the row. Been there, done it, taken it all off again!!

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin