Energy meter

I received a free Energy Meter today. I had to download a pdf file from a website to get the manual. The display/brain unit has a space for three AA batteries, but nowhere is there any mention of this in the manual, except for a mention of the battery cover when locating a reset button. There are no batteries supplied, so I don't know if I should install plain Duracells, or some rechargeable variety, or even none at all. Weird.

Reply to
Davey

I'd just install ordinary batteries or Duracell or any other know make alkaline. I wouldn;t bother with recharables.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , Davey writes

Is a standalone unit, or does it have a mains adapter? If the latter then they will presumably be for if you want to run in away from the mains, so not needed if plugged in to mains. Otherwise it will need them to work :-)

Batteries? whatever you want. I'd use rechargeable, as that's what I used by default nowadays (low self discharge NiMH, - in my case usually

7 day shop Good To go ones - since that avoids the problems of them running flat in a month or so.)
Reply to
chris French

I think you will find the display rather dull with no batteries in.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well, I would agree with that. My main complaint is that there is a 56 page pdf file, most pages of which have one or two graphic images, or less, but it can't be arsed to mention what is a great big hole in the back of the display device. Who writes (?) these things?

Reply to
Davey

LSD-cells work well in my camera that's supposed to have alkaline - last about 4 times as long. If the device will run for a reasonable time on LSDs, that's the way to go. I didn't buy 7-Day's own brand as I'd had trouble with their ordinary NiMHs, but got Eneloop. BTW, in a clock that will run down to 0.95V, an Eneloop AA cell was OK for

10 months; I'm now trying one of Aldi's equivalents in it - report towards end of year, possibly.
Reply to
PeterC

Update:

  1. Installed 3 Duracells, seems to work fine.
  2. Went online to add my account to the iPlan system at Southern Electric, had a problem, tried Chat as suggested.
  3. Chat only works with Windows or Mac, I use Linux OS.
  4. Called the 'phone number, was talked through process (in fact my account was already registered, but it didn't tell me that), and then again, it only works with Windows or Mac.

Silly people.

Reply to
Davey