Mickeysoft IE9 woes

I foolishly let Mickeysoft upgrade my MS web browser from IE8 (mildly unstable) to IE9 (unusable) today. So far I have found that IE9 reliably crashes and locks up a lot more often than its predecessor and there are plenty of websites that render OK but completely latch it up so that it thinks it is working but the only thing that will recover it is a shot between the eyes using Windows Task Manager/End Task.

One such page that is reliably lethal for IE9 on my system is:

renders OK but the only things that work afterwards are select and copy the URL and terminating the application with extreme prejudice.

Plenty of other sites work intermittently. IE9 is a waste of space :(

Any suggestions to make IE9 less unstable or a better alternative? (I have tried Firefox and Chrome both are more stable than IE8 or 9)

Reply to
Martin Brown

My solution (which I've actually just done) is to go to add/remove programs, uninstall IE9 & go back to IE8. I had the same problems as you, various websites that worked perfectly suddenly locked up the browser or took forever to load. I never had many problems with IE8.

Chrome is OK, I don't use Firefox but maybe you could install them alongside IE and see what you think, you can either bin them or keep them when you've decided whether they suit you or not.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

wekll that site is linked to so many adware sites I am not surprised.

However it appears to work as intended on Firefox 11, so why not simply scarp IE8 and install firefox?

so use em?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's worth disabling all addons for IE, there are so many sites riddled with all kinds of scripting that it's pointless trying to load their pages with all your Java, Flash etc., on.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Not a user myself, but one problem is known to be add ons that were used in IE8. Often you would find that going back to 8, removing add ones then upgrading again and then finding add ons was more reliable Who knows why, after all, Firefox has a period during updating testing the add ons compatability, but IE seems never to bother.

I had a similar issue between 7 and 8 till I sussed it out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It works perfectly here under Windows 7. Are you sure you have installed all the updates?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

There is something that uses a huge amount of cpu power on that site. It works if you have enough CPU power, but there is something wrong even with win7 and IE9.

Reply to
dennis

Use Firefox or Chrome.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

No need I just asked them to remove the problem.

Reply to
dennis

A staggering and beautiful example of dennis-syndrome.

Let's examine the sentence.

"No need" - well that bit is fairly clear: dennis asserts he has no need to follow the advice posted, because one assumes he has found an alternative solution.

"I just asked them" - a glorious example of lack of polite punctuation, and total ambiguity! Asked who? the Angels? The designers of IE9? The site authors? All of whom it is implied, dennis is in regular (spiritual?) contact with, and on such terms of authority that they will do anything he asks them.

"to remove the problem" - as if problems are simply something one picks up and drops in the recycling bin.

If any further evidence of Dennis' delusional state were required, this is it.

I think I will frame it and put it on the wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use Google Chrome

Reply to