Browser query

One for the cognoscentii:-)

Filling a tax return recently.. I ticked the box for *remember me* which I assumed offered 5 days of simple log ins. Not so!

Re-reading the notes later I saw HMRC recommend typing their address directly into the browser rather than using the search engine route.

Apart from solving the issue of finding where my wife has hidden her mobile phone an explanation might make my life simpler when I come to do my own return:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It normally would (for 7 days?) on a single computer, provided you don't manually or automatically delete HMRC cookies ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

For things like that the "remember me" usually only removes the need for two-factor authentication eg a code sent by message to your phone.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Yes. In this case my wife's phone. Hence the annoyance. Firefox is set to delete cookies on shut down. So that explains that. C Cleaner still seems to find plenty!

Ta!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

From the tracking point of view, I hate particularly council and other newsletters where I to says click here for more and if you look at the hidden code you quite often see that your data is gathered by click through third parties and the link is huge. I really don't see why they cannot just give the bloody page address and be done with it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There are a few different levels of "remembering" that are commonly done. The basic one is to save cookies in the browser that will enable it to pre populate some login details like username / email etc. (this is a separate capability from the browsers ability to remember and store stuff like this along with passwords). That may also prompt some stages of login to be skipped - say on site that use a username/password then letters from memorable word.

On more secure sites that use 2FA, it may be used to either/or save a cookie that tells it not generate 2FA confirmation for a period of time, and for the web site itself to store a "fingerprint" of the browser and avoid a 2FA challenge for a time, and while the fingerprint remains unchanged.

(many sites will also keep server side logs to spot unusual changes that can trigger a 2FA challenge - e.g. a login from a new device or new location etc)

Reply to
John Rumm