Cold & Hot filling of washer-Query

When I purchased a new washing machine I was informed that all machines are now cold fill only and that was the most economic way of filling I have hot water available from my boiler and have been used to using that. that is more economic than heating up cold water from the start? Am I right? Blair

Reply to
bm

I wouldn't have thought there was a vast amount of difference in energy terms, but it might be more expensive to heat the water in the washing machine if you use at daytime rates

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Depends on the length of the pipe run from the boiler to the WM.

A solenoid on the WM opened to allow hot water in to a certain level, then shut off. Very often this just drew cold water from the pipe and the machine filled & shut off before the hot ever reached it.

If the boiler were right next to the WM it would make more sense, but most aren't. Also, washing is done at lower temperatures these days, often lower than the water from the boiler.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many thanks for your help. I can accept it now after reading your comments Blair

Reply to
bm