Self-assessment tax dates query

I seldom need to do the tax self-assessment but had some untaxed income at the end of 2016 that needs to be declared. Can someone confirm that self-assessment tax returns to HMRC for the financial year 2016-2017 don't have to be returned until this time next year? Or do I need to get my skates on!
--

Chris

On 23/02/2017 13:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

If you submit on line then you can leave it till 31st Jan 2018.
--
Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:

That's right, but for paper filing (why would you?) it's the end of October 2017.
On 23/02/2017 13:52, Andy Burns wrote:

They have made the online system much more difficult to log on to, as they now want to send a code to a phone, which you then have to enter into their web site.
None of the banks that I have a/cs at do this, so why do the Inland Revenue?
--
Michael Chare

On 23/02/2017 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:

To make it more secure? I'm sent a code by my banks when I change anything significant.

On 23/02/2017 17:09, F wrote:

Sending something to a phone afterwards is different. You don't have to have a particular working phone at the time you log on.
--
Michael Chare

On 23/02/2017 18:05, Michael Chare wrote:

The code is sent to allow me to make the change. No code, no way to make the change.

F wrote:

As far as I remember, it was optional to link your mobile number to your HMRC logon, unless things have changed now?
On 23/02/2017 20:16, Andy Burns wrote:

AIUI yes, it could be that it is because access is via the government gateway and other services are being made available.
If you want to change the number they test or call you have to ring up and advice your NI number or some such.
PITA id you don't have a good mobile signal.
--
Michael Chare

On 23/02/2017 21:58, Michael Chare wrote:

Mine has been reset to my house phone number rather than a mobile. Agree it can be a pain.
On 23/02/2017 23:29, Robert wrote:

And it shows as 'number withheld' on caller id, so be careful not to use the new BT facility to divert such calls to a junk voice mailbox.

Which I keep trying to tell our bank doesn't work as we have no mobile coverage at home.
--
Chris Green
·

I have appaling mobile coverage indoors at home, so I use a Vodafone "SureSignal" device which gives me & SWMBO mobile phone coverage through the internet. I believe other operators offer something similar.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

... and I've asked and they won't give me one.
--
Chris Green
·

I wasn't "given" one - I had to buy it.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I'd love a device that prevents my mobile working at home. ;-)
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

I'm sure Faraday Cages are sold somewhere.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:47:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I used to stick my works phone in the microwave, shielded the phone enough that lost contact . Reason for doing that was if the phone was turned off by its off button the network would announce to the office that "The number you are calling is switched off" or some similar wording. If the phone just lost contact the message was something like this phone cannot be contacted or whatever the words were and was the same as if I was driving in a poor reception area. I did this because the office had an annoying habit of discovering they had sat on a job for hours and it would go out of a target time unless they issued it at which point it became my target and they often issued it 15 mins or so before my time of being on call ended. 99% of the time it was completely ridiculous, the customer may well have been a bit annoyed that I had not attended in the afternoon after they called in before say 13.00 , but would have been even more pissed off after me getting the job at 20.50 I arrived to fix something at 23.00.
G.Harman

On-off switch ?.
Or silent mode.
Chris Green wrote:

SMS messages can be delivered to PSTN lines (either as voice synthesis, or with suitably capable phones).