Bridge between Scotland and Ireland

Apparently it's on.
How long before it's not ?
Days, weeks, months or years ?
I reckon this time 2021 it'll be long forgotten.
On 10/02/2020 16:43, Jethro_uk wrote:

I think it will run for quite a while.
My guess is it is being offered to assuage the negative sentiment that occurs when NI finds it is no longer as much a part of the union as it thought it was.
The project can only safely be dropped after Irish reunification.

problem is is might need a very long span. theer aren't convenient rocks in the path, - just a very deep trench
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
charles wrote:

with rather a lot of explosives dumped in it ...
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 18:24:10 +0000, charles wrote:

Full of explosives.
Johnson couldn't even get a bridge from London to London.
<snip> >Johnson couldn't even get a bridge from London to London.
LOL!
Cheers, T i m
On 12/02/2020 09:44, T i m wrote:

But he did get elected PM with a big majority.
This "plan" to build a bridge has a lot more to do with politics than it does engineering.
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:14:55 +0000, Pancho

I don't think he did. He got elected by default, 'shone in poor company' and for loads of other reason that it was him.

Again, I'm not sure he's ever had a plan, other than becoming PM of course, he's just a puppet and a clown.
I wouldn't trust him on anything.
Cheers, T i m

Odd, given the Tories were routed in Scotland? Now a bridge between the N of England and Ulster might have bought some votes.
--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 14:28:37 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well given that it's never going to happen, it's pretty irrelevant where it goes.
It's real purpose is to give the MSM something to print/talk about and fill the ether with, therefore removing the oxygen of publicity that Brexit naysayers might be able to use.
Same as the puff piece a couple of days ago announcing a the sale of 10,000 cabbages to Malaysia as proof Britain is booming. I believe the official tweet was deleted PDQ when the carbon footprint per cabbage got mentioned.

Its not nice to talk about Saint Dyson like that.

with the Isle of Man as a mid point?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 14:28:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yebbut the Protestants in Ulster are mostly of Scottish descent, as a result of the 'clearances' of the highlands in the 17- and 1800's. They have Orange Order marches in Glasgow as well as in Ulster. I would have though a link between Ulster and Scotland would be very popular.
--

Chris

Depends on whether you support Celtic or Rangers. ;-)
Would be fairly simple to find out how many make the crossing per year or whatever to work out how popular it would be?
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

If it was easier and cheaper, a whole lot more might though.
SteveW

Just what we need, then. To reduce our CO2 output. Unnecessary journeys. Just like happened with those massive shopping centres like Lakeside. People drove many miles just to visit them.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

We have relatives there. Some of whom are quite elderly and we have no idea how much longer they'll be around. A road link would allow us to visit them more often and not need us to fly at all, even for sudden visits (such as funerals, where the notice can be short - less than 18 hours in one case - as they don't hang around). Are visits to elderly relatives to be limited?
SteveW

Depends if you think there is any need to travel as economically as possible CO etc output wise. If so, a rail bridge would likely make more sense, same idea as the chunnel.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

But again suffers from the same problem as plane or ferry - you need to book, there may be no availability at short notice and prices can be unaffordable for many.
SteveW

You'd only have to book if demand regularly exceeded supply. And are you saying this massive and expensive project should be free at the point of use?
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.