New TV Moderately OT:-)

I need a new TV for my bedroom.
Wall mounted, HD capable, OK on my existing auxiliary boxes, and with a freeview program search function.
Able to take a satellite input but not Sky.
Any recommendations?
--
Tim Lamb

On 10/02/2020 14:06, Tim Lamb wrote:

Do you mean satellite from a box or directly?
If the latter, we have two Toshiba TVs, both of which have a functional satellite input which was not mentioned in the specs given on any shop's website, so I'd recommend actually looking at TVs in a shop (Currys, Richer Sounds or wherever) and see what each TV actually has.
SteveW
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 14:06:01 +0000

Size? And rule out Cello, from the start.
--
Davey.

writes

I think the space available only really stretches to 32" (why are TVs sized in inches?)

--
Tim Lamb

'cos that's how the US measures things
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 10/02/2020 16:55, charles wrote:

Charles I never thought I'd see you resort to " 'cos "!
Bill

saves typing
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 11/02/2020 08:33, charles wrote:

And I thought you were energetic!
Bill
On 11/02/2020 11:27, williamwright wrote:

thought the rule was never to call you william, Bill.

No, it's "Little Willy" that he objects to ;-)
On 10/02/2020 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:

I think that you should look at a samsung. I prefer their user interface
Not sure what a program search feature is....
Currys aint a bad place to buy. Therey do take back faulty ones

Richer sounds will give a 6 year warranty.
Even for stuff where they don't, they will sell you a 6 year warranty for 10% of the goods price, and after the warranty period, if you haven't made a claim, they will give you the premium back !.
Local J-L had 2 Panny 40 inch GX800 tvs for £300 in their clearance sale, normal price £600.

How does Richer make a profit on that? Is the scheme dependent on few people remebering to claim the refund in 6 years' time?
On 11/02/2020 14:08, Pamela wrote:

They don't. They make their profit on the goods themselves. Visit your local R-S and ask them how many people bother to come back and reclaim the cost of their warranty. Guildford store claims 2 to 3 people per week do so. Their warranty is not underwritten by any insurance company, if the goods fail outside the manufacturers warranty they they just replace the item.
On 11/02/2020 14:08, Pamela wrote:

1) They use the money as an interest free loan that funds their business (google:working capital).
2) Assuming 2% inflation over 6 years, in 2026 you will need approx £112 to buy what cost you £100 in 2020. Put another way, £100 in 2026, will have the purchasing power of £88 in 2020. So in real terms they will be paying back less than they received.
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 13:47:05 +0000, Andrew wrote:

ISTR that one has to claim the premium at the end of the period.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 16:33:19 +0000, PeterC wrote:

At one time, they were giving a 3 year warranty, and a 50% trade-in as well as a free new warranty, if you returned the item within 3 years.
I bought 3 items and traded them all in at 2 years 11 months.
On 11/02/2020 16:54, Bob Eager wrote:

Back in the '90s I bought a dual cassette deck from Richer sounds for about £120. For an extra £10, I got a 10 year warranty, free head realignment at any time and 50% off a future trade-in (less without the box IIRC). It is the only extended warranty I have ever bought on any household item.
SteveW
On 11/02/2020 22:07, Steve Walker wrote:

I just managed to sort out two problems on the weekend. Problem 1 was the ancient Sony FM radio making thrumbing noises when turned off. Problem 2 was my 35 YO Sony recording walkman that had stretched its belts, making everything sound very slowwwww.
In the BHF charity shop I found a Phillips stereo radio/cassette 'getto blaster' (AQ5150, but not a massive one) for £10.
Stereo FM radio is perfect (also has AM and LW). Cassette player works perfectly. It has a headphone socket so I should be able to digitise the rest of my collection of language cassettes and BBC tapes of "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".
They gave me a receipt, but for £10 what do you expect ?. I tried it in the shop and it worked fine so I won't be back for a refund or 'trade in'. This one is a keeper, until it fails.
On 11/02/2020 16:33, PeterC wrote:

Correct, and most people won't bother, but those that do, get a full refund of the 'premium' (actually a guarantee provided by R-S).