power cut

is it normal to have more power cuts when you live in a shanty town with overhead power lines?...during very hot weather

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I don't know, but a large tree fell over in our garden when it was so hot.

Reply to
GB

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Ill ask brian raey he lives in a shanty town ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

LOndon nearly went black during the heatwave and was only saved by the Belgians helpfully providing some more electrons through an interconnect at a very 'reasonable' £10,000/MwH

Latest I have heard is that several large housing developments in the Ealing /Hounslow area cannot proceed because the grid cannot cope without an upgrade. Something to do with large numbers of data centres having been built along the M4 corridor using all the spare capacity.

I thought that with ultra-fast fibre optics the data centres could be located in cooler places with access to hydro power ?.

Reply to
Andrew

They are: See

Michael Chare

Data being a problem? Just wait till we all have (to have) electric cars!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

ISTR that in 1976, some HV lines had to be taken out of service, because expansion due to the heat had cause the cables to sag so far that safety clearances were compromised.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I think I see where the problem is.

That rock at the bottom, that holds up the Scottish grid, isn't big enough.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Loss of electricitree?

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

thank you rod

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

could be that thanks

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

that kind of thing

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Or that bloke who has attached his orange extension cord to the Scottish grid is draining all the power.

Reply to
alan_m

Well I guess it often depends on how many line engineers are close by. Certainly some of the overhead power lines we see in the uk with transformers between two poles are prone to failure due to overheating or whatever. and whereas national grid do have automatic load moving, it seems often to fall over in the more rural areas where there is no nearby second supply. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yebbut:

The fewer milliseconds to the stock exchange, the more profit (or something like that)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There will probably be a market for coal burning steam cars soon ;-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Looks like some pikeys have stolen the wires that should be connected to those insulators

Reply to
Andrew

You need better glasses:-)

3 cables running to the line of pylons on the horizon.
Reply to
Tim Lamb