power cuts

Does anybody know if there is a legal limit on the number of power cuts per annum before one can demand something is done ? And if so, who do I demand it from. The utility company just say they are "improving things".

Reply to
Mike

There is a European Standard, avaliable from BSI that relates to power quality, perhaps a trip down to the local library. also try ofgem

James Salisbury

Thay break that already. Our voltage is 253volts with spikes on top. Next door (1/2 mile away) is even higher.

so I'll try putting in a claim for that.

But what I really want is them to upgrade the supply.

Reply to
Mike

Which county are you in and who supplyies you, see this map

James Salisbury

Down grade surely? B-)

Assuming you have a reliable and accurate voltmeter that voltage is stressing your equipment more and may well shorten its life. I bet filament bulbs don't last long at all. 253v is also right on the upper limit (+10% from 230v) I'd complain about that and get it reduced. You need to talk to the actual physical supplier of your power, which may or may not be the people who bill you.

I'd say join with neighbour but as they are 1/2 a mile away I suspect you are rural and probably on different transformers? All the same they should complain as well if their voltage is even higher.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheshire - it's United Utilities.

Reply to
Mike

We're on a row of 5 farms all on one transformer. I'm the second and on 253 volts. The last one is about 235 volts but this drops significantly when they start the milking machine. Long wire !

Bulbs do pop so I've mostly changed to CFLs which seem to last better.

Reply to
Mike