Power cuts

In the 25 years I lived in my last house in southern suburbia I can count the number of times the lecky went out on the fingers of one heavily mutilated hand. Since moving to the middle of feckin nowhere in Aberdeenshire it's been about a dozen times in 18 months.
We started off with a spate of them in 2012, then it settled down for a while, we had another one last back end and then it went out for an hour and a half yesterday again. Several have been in the middle of the night where I only realise it happened because the clock on the cooker is flashing and has lost its settings when I get up.
I'd assumed it was just some specific fault on a wire local to our little enclave here which some bugger really ought to get round to fixing properly but finally I phoned up the power company yesterday when the phone started working again and it had knocked out the power to 352 houses over a several mile area and was reported in as "an explosion at the top of a power pole in someone's garden".
He also looked up the previous outage and that was over a wide area too. So no general problem with our local supply, just sod's law it seems. Branches falling onto cables etc.
So I'm happy it isn't just my house or its supply but surprised it happens so often. Is this just a "living in the sticks" sort of thing we have to get used to?
--
Dave Baker

On 27/02/2014 08:15, Dave Baker wrote:

Pretty much... lots of overhead distribution, tree, weather etc.
UPS the important things, and consider a generator and transfer switch.
--
Cheers,

John.

What he said. We live in the middle of nowhere, too, on the end of many kilometers of overhead distribution. I bought a big UPS.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 58th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
On 27/02/14 08:31, Huge wrote:

Which make (and maybe model if arsed you can be :) ?
Because it's a very good alternative to a generator - particularly as it can be "always online".
I was considering a dedicated "generator radial circuit" with an external input socket (male socket) and a few sockets in key places.
However, as our power failures are typically for no longer than a few hours (1-2 normally and 6 max) I do wonder if a UPS might be a betetr idea.
Could have the CH, modem/network and fridge/freezer permanently on it.
Cheers!
Tim

Well, it's a SmartUPS 2200, s/h on eBay. That might not be a "big" UPS by your standards, but it was by mine.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 58th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Huge wrote:

I've got a couple of those, both saved from being skipped and a 1400, they're fairly "cold war" design, never see to go wrong. Last time I replaced the batteries with 3rd party equivalents they seemed a reasonable price, need doing again and the prices seem to have shot-up. So for the past 3 months or so I've bypassed them - and noticed how much power they consume just sitting there (cooking their batteries!).

Mine needs new batteries and the cost of them has put me off replacing them. Fortunately, we haven't had a power cut for ages.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 59th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
On 28/02/2014 09:28, Huge wrote:

Find the right lead acid battery in AH and shape (deep discharge) somewhere like RapidOnline and it will be half the price of the official rebadged ones sold for UPS or wheelchair user ripoffs.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

Of course, last time I used Yuasa ones, now even the "neverheardofem" brands seem twice the price I paid ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180709291829
The 2200's take four batteries each, the 1400 takes a pair, not that I'd need all three UPSes in use.

Thanks for the suggestion - I shall bear that in mind.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 59th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:38:39 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

The last couple of sets I've bought(*) have come from Value Power Systems. http://www.vps-ups.co.uk Cheapest place I have found.
(*) The joys of an APC UPS. Well known for cooking their batteries, I don't much more than 4 years 99.99% standby use from a pair of 12 V 7 AHr batteries. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

Bloody useless they are too for doing that. Never did get any sensible reply from Schneider electric on that issue . Tend to use EATON now don't seem to have that problem thus far...
--
Tony Sayer

On 27/02/14 16:55, Huge wrote:

Thanks! I was just curious. Should be enough to run CH for a while as well as internetty stuff. Fridge/freezer I'd have to put a power monitor on - but perhaps they matter less as they will keep for the sort of failure durations we get.

As long as you don't put much load on it and expect it to run for very long..

Much better idea:)...

I doubt for that it will run any of those items for that long...
Unless it a very large capacity one. Prime power generation even from a cheapie genny is a much better bet. UPS's are for just that maintaining IT type power while the PC does a shutdown..

--
Tony Sayer

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:44:00 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

of

as

That would be tricky with a "whole house" UPS but one could install a separate maintained ring and use "chinese"(*) plugs and sockets so that the kettle/hoover or WHY can't be plugged in.
Also too much load could be the in rush from a motor causing the UPS to trip out. The in rush from a CRT monitor was enough to trip the little (750 VA) UPS I have.

That depends on the battery capacity but yes you need *BIG* batterys to supply 1 kW for any great length of time.

Our genset is 2 kVA runs the fridges, freezers, CH system etc no problem. I have 2.6 kVA UPS but no batteries for it. One day I'll equip it with 4 100 AHr or bigger deep discharge batteries. If the in rushes don't trip it it would be a bit more convient than the genset. The latter does have the advantage that a trip down to the garage for 25 litres of red will keep it going for over a day.
(*) Looks like a normal 13A plug but the L and N pins are oriented vertically and the earth horizontal. Not sure they are still available or the version with a round earth pin and L/N in normal orientation.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Walsall Gauge.
On Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:07:02 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

Easier to just use a different style of 13A socket, eg brown or older style ones, or label standard ones.
If you decide different plugs are required, round pin are easier to come by.
NT
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:18:59 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

oriented

You trust every person likely to be in the house during a power cut not to plug the kettle into one of these UPS maintained sockets? I wouldn't, particularly if there are any teenagers or adult females about.
--
Cheers
Dave.
/ You trust every person likely to be in the house during a power cut not to plug the kettle into one of these UPS maintained sockets? I wouldn't, particularly if there are any teenagers or adult females about.
--Cheers Dave./q
If fancy sockets are around wouldn't they just use the adaptors provided?
Jim K

It is a living in the sticks thing. You might be out for days if we have heavy snow and they have many faults/can't get out to fix things.. Take due precautions. Open fire/stove, portable generator. Camping gas stove.
It arises out of having overhead power lines.