Power cuts

Thanks! I was just curious. Should be enough to run CH for a while as well as internetty stuff. Fridge/freezer I'd have to put a power monitor on - but perhaps they matter less as they will keep for the sort of failure durations we get.

Reply to
Tim Watts

However, as you have seen, what they want to achieve and what actually happens are not necessarily the same thing. it would need a much higher level of inspection and more tree lopping teams, to achieve the target of removing *all* trees that might pose a risk. We couldn't do that as a nationalised industry, at a time when we were looking for ways to spend money, so that we didn't break the 2% profit cap.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You mean that even with a lot of money to spend, it wasn't possible to spend it fast enough? Did the notion of price reductions to customers not occur to anyone?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just the thought that crossed my mind!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Your very lucky!..

Like trees near railway lines etc, but then again tree huggers have a lot to be responsible for..

Like what?. In comparison to overhead?..

Reply to
tony sayer

As long as you don't put much load on it and expect it to run for very long..

Much better idea:)...

I doubt for that it will run any of those items for that long...

Unless it a very large capacity one. Prime power generation even from a cheapie genny is a much better bet. UPS's are for just that maintaining IT type power while the PC does a shutdown..

Reply to
tony sayer

That was a bit of a one in "x" year's event;!..

Now your asking;!.

Got to be Virgin Media then;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

More difficult to upgrade. Can be damaged by ground movement. Prone to getting digger shovels through them. Faults normally take a lot longer to trace and repair (digger shovels excluded).

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The adjustments were usually needed close to the year end and increased expenditure is a faster method than tariff reductions, which need advanced notice to customers. When profits had been too high (i.e. close to 2%, which no private supplier would even consider) there usually would be a price cut, but in the next financial year. OTOH, one year, all the staff had their wages delayed by one week in order to move the costs into another accounting period.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That would be tricky with a "whole house" UPS but one could install a separate maintained ring and use "chinese"(*) plugs and sockets so that the kettle/hoover or WHY can't be plugged in.

Also too much load could be the in rush from a motor causing the UPS to trip out. The in rush from a CRT monitor was enough to trip the little (750 VA) UPS I have.

That depends on the battery capacity but yes you need *BIG* batterys to supply 1 kW for any great length of time.

Our genset is 2 kVA runs the fridges, freezers, CH system etc no problem. I have 2.6 kVA UPS but no batteries for it. One day I'll equip it with 4 100 AHr or bigger deep discharge batteries. If the in rushes don't trip it it would be a bit more convient than the genset. The latter does have the advantage that a trip down to the garage for

25 litres of red will keep it going for over a day.

(*) Looks like a normal 13A plug but the L and N pins are oriented vertically and the earth horizontal. Not sure they are still available or the version with a round earth pin and L/N in normal orientation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

10 or 11 times more expensive, too, last I heard.
Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Dave Baker writes

I live on the edge of somewhere.

I've been here for 13 years (before that I had 14 years in a nearby town centre with no power cuts), and for the first few years, the power went off with such regularity, I kept a record of it, but now it is a much rarer event, perhaps every 18 months.

I was at one point moved to write to the distribution company and complain about it. One of their staff rang me back and seemed to think that because her power went off on a regular basis, all was well, but things did improve after that.

There never seemed to be a consistent explanation (often there was no explanation) as to why it went off, although on one occasion it was supposedly down to a lightening strike on a substation (about 200yds away as the crow flies), in that case I think we would have heard it, and strangely the next day, it looked OK, and no signs of it having been visited.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

OK, fair enough, except that the private supplier might argue they'd be more efficient anyway, being exposed to competition unlike the nationalised industries (whether we have a sensible arrangement now re: electricity is another matter).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Walsall Gauge.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wish UK power networks did. One of their staff told me they cut back and then cut back some more regretfully its not the trees that are cut but men on the ground are;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Overall less bother so I've noticed over some 20 years at several locations..

On new build's and estates you never, least round this way, see overhead delivered services..

Reply to
tony sayer

And when there're all cooking up the Xmas lunch;?..

Yes 10 mm I've got a lump that burnt and arced a while ago;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

That is just the power cuts that I have been able to see the cause. Usually I don't know why the power has failed. There have been many more failures. I don't keep a log, and I have been paid compensation.

A small increase in cost would be OK if reliability was improved.

Building (more?) redundancy into the circuits would also help.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That is just the trees that are local enough for me to see what happened. There are many more power cuts.

Gigaclear

Reply to
Michael Chare

We have one or more power cuts a year, usually because someone has knocked down a power pole. Here's a lady knocking my pole down very slowly:

We had 110kV underground to the central city. People kept hitting it with diggers. Eventually the four cables failed, and it took five weeks to get the power on again to the central city:

Then they spent over $100 million digging a tunnel for the cables. It has a railway line inside it. Piece of cake to fix now!

Reply to
MattyF