Planned power cuts,

UK Power Networks contacted me to warn me of a power cut because they want to change a transformer which happens to be in a fenced area adjacent to my garden. I got several warnings and it was apparent that not everyone would be cut off at the same time. AIUI the replacement transformer should have a larger capacity to cater for more use of electricity in the future. All the cables to and from the transformer are underground.

I was not at the property at all when power was due to go off.

The

Broadband Quality Monitor pings my routers public IP address It did not a get a response from my router for a few nminutes in the morning and even a shorter period in the afternoon. I don't have a UPS.

I am curious as to how the UK Power Networks contractor achieved this. Would they have used a temporary generator or possibly a temporary transformer?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes. When I had an issue with the 11Kv running down my garden, they isolated the section, and fed it from a container sized diesel generator for me and two neighbours.

The switchover was very quick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You might not be told about it if the work is on the transformer or somewhere nearby, but no interruption is intended for your supply.

Our neighbours have a small substation transformer in their garden. It's been worked on before, necessitating a 500kW generator lorry being reversed up a footpath to get to it. There has also been work on the power line 100 - 200 metres away. A generator was brought in for that too, and connected to the substation cables. We were informed about those works, as there was interruption in our supply for a couple of hours. About a month ago, a generator appeared without any notification and was connected up. It was running continuously for 5 days! When I queried the lack of notification with SSN, they said it was because our supply was not being interrupted.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thanks for all the replies. I did not know that such things could happen. It is quite a good service, all my previous power cuts have been due to faults. It was a pity that I was not there to see what was happening.

Reply to
Michael Chare

One of our neighbours had a fault in their underground service cable which had caused lights to flicker for several days and they were provided with temporary power from a trailer sized generator for about three days while holes were dug. In the end it turned out that the fault was in a bitumen filled joint box under the garden wall adjacent to the pavement. I think the heat damaged the cable running down the road as well as the service cable, so several splices later it was all fixed and the nasty smell went away.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Probably routed around it if there are the lines in place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff