Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6 feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

Google video wall cable cover.

If that doesn't work for you, you can notch the studs to run your power and cable, and patch over the notches. The multi-tool always talked about here would shine at that. Just make sure you get between drywall screws.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote in message news:j4jllr$f49$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Sure, that's easy. What you do is put the TV on a stand or another wall where it can be put lower and be more comfortable to watch. I'm not sure where the over fireplace thing got started, but it is a dumb place in most houses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You need to get a game plan . You have to run a cable for power to a location behind the tv, but in many cases the coax cable goes to your cable box not directly to the tv. Depending upon your setup, you'd run HDMI, composite, or component cables from your cable box, dvd, vcr, dvr, etc. to the TV

Reply to
RBM

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote in message news:j4jllr$f49$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Reply to
WW

Hmmm. I don't understand mounting TV high. Best watching TV position is when viewed little lower than eye level.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd think hard before I did that. Still a whole lot of hot air that rises up in front of a gas fireplace. Probably kind of hard on a TV basically made of plastic, and the electronics it contains. Look in you owner's manual, and see what temp range it likes, and hang a thermometer where you plan to hang the TV, and see how close the numbers are with the fireplace running for an hour or so.

As to how to hide the cables- there is no painless way. You can fish lines down from attic, and tap into the cable and mains power from elsewhere. If your cable comes through the wall, it sounds like you had the 'free' install service, which is worth what you paid for it. You could always go up into the attic on the outside, through the soffit, if there is no 2nd story above. But if you back-feed the set, and your cable company suddenly makes you start using a box, or you want to add a DVR, how will you route the cables to that?

Dunno why people get so hung up on hiding TV cords. Every appliance, lamp, computer, and real power tool has one.

Reply to
aemeijers

The TV in this room is on a stand around 50" high. Any lower, and I couldn't see it over the other computer monitor on the desk sitting at right angles to this one.

Reply to
aemeijers

Speaking of which, I've now got this in boxes sitting in the living room.

I finally caved to the wife. I'm getting rid of the huge entertainment center that was on that wall. We'll see how that monster gets picked up from the curb. That was her idea too. I never liked it. And I don't like fireplaces, just peace. Don't even like real fireplaces unless it's in a northern Canadian lodge and I've been fishing in the cold all day and I can warm up with a drink in my hand. But that's somebody else's fireplace anyway. This one isn't even real, so I like it less. Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment center. But if we want a big TV in the living room, it has to hang on the wall over that "fireplace." No other place that works in our small house. I think that's why they get hung over a fireplace, Just not enough room for everything.

--Vic

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

just drape the cords over to the tv and be done. damn!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Heat is the biggest destroyer of modern electronics. Thats why they put large heat sinks and fans in things like tv sets, computers, etc. Even a small fireplace will pump the heat into that tv, and will greatly shorten the life of the tv, as well as possibly warping plastic on the case or even the screen. What you want to do is just plain stupid. You have other walls to use, put it ANYWHERE ELSE. NOT above the fireplace.

After you find another place for the tv, look up "wiremold" on the internet or go to an electrical supply house to buy some. It comes in plastic or metal, use what suits your fancy.

Reply to
jw

As Ed suggested why not a stand? Flat panels are pretty thin. Its not like trying to accommodate a huge CRT TV.

One of the main reasons for keeping it below horizontal line of site is that human eyes don't wet properly when looking at a higher angle.

Reply to
George

*I've done several of these installations. Where there is no basement or attic access I cut a 5" wide groove in the drywall using my 45 degree angle cut technique. The groove extends from above or below the existing electrical receptacle and cable locations over to the side of the fireplace. I then drill holes in each wall stud to pull the wires through. From the side of the fireplace cut-out I usually snake the wires up the wall and if necessary cut a groove to get to the desired location behind the TV.
Reply to
John Grabowski

You could pull a Cask of Amontillado: " 'For the love of God, Montresor!' " 'Yes,' I said, 'for the love of God!...'

"I forced the last stone into its position; I plastered it up. Against the new masonry I re-erected the old rampart of bones. For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them. In pace requiescat!"

Reply to
HeyBub

put new tv where entertainment center was.

to dispose of entrtainment center break it up they arent very strong.

remove the back and a few screws, push the entre thing over and break it up.

besides it was most likely assembled on site, so you cant get it assembled thru doors..

Reply to
bob haller

TV immurement. I like that idea.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

As I said, there's just no room - without arranging furniture in a way that would cause more problems. It's not the big room many have as a living room. That why the entertainment center was on that wall. To hold the TV. Don't get me wrong. I don't think we'll put a TV over that fireplace. We've got 3 of the things in other rooms.

Good to know. I'll use that.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I tried that with a VHS of fish when my wife wanted aquariums. Didn't work. I've got an empty 55 gallon tank, an empty 12, and an empty 6 sitting in the basement. Plus all the other gear. The fish kick lasted about 5 years.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

That entertainment center was made for that. The fireplace to is 42" high. I'm just going to tell her the TV will melt and hope she doesn't read the fireplace recommendations for mounting a flat screen above it. But I expect the "fireplace" will trip the breaker. Then if she says there's no worry about heat melting the TV, I'll tell her what George said. Your eyes will dry up.

I put it together. It's a good one and I don't want to break it up. The top section can detach, so I can get it outside. I was going to toss the top and put the bottom in the garage, but it's too low for a workbench. Now I think I'll put both pieces by the curb. This thing is really heavy. About 10 years ago we removed the carpet that was new in this house when we bought it. Cheap stuff that my dogs screwed up in 4 years. I trimmed the carpet flush around the entertainment center and since then when we've painted and had the floors refinished I could push it around with that original carpet still under it. Otherwise I would have had to take it apart. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that strip of original carpeting uncovered. Memories. The kids were here then, our favorite dog was here then. We were humping every day then. Maybe I'll shed a tear before I toss the carpet strip in the trash.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Not ALL of them are made out of chipboard. The one I have in the other living room is oak over plywood core, with real hardwood face frame. (I can't abide fake woodgrain.) Think I paid 20 bucks for it at a garage sale. And unless it is a huge monster (towers plus bridge), they generally do fit through doors.

Reply to
aemeijers