Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

Page 2 of 2
On Sep 12, 12:20am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Not that *I* would put a TV over my fireplace, but many people do it. Do you think this company makes their customers sign waivers before installation?
http://hdinstallers.com/fireplacetvinstallation.html
The candles on my fireplace mantel have never melted, so it doesn't get that hot above *my* fireplace.
And just for the hell of it, I placed a digital thermometer just above my plasma TV and it is putting out 95 degrees. If I tape the thermometer to one of the main heat vents it climbs to 105 degrees.

It all depends on the fireplace design and all of that, but it still seems rather risky. Modern electronics would likely last forever if it was not for heat causing failure. I'd rate heat as the #1 cause. The other things are lightning and power surges.

*I've done several of these installations. Where there is no basement or attic access I cut a 5" wide groove in the drywall using my 45 degree angle cut technique. The groove extends from above or below the existing electrical receptacle and cable locations over to the side of the fireplace. I then drill holes in each wall stud to pull the wires through. From the side of the fireplace cut-out I usually snake the wires up the wall and if necessary cut a groove to get to the desired location behind the TV.
On 9/11/2011 9:01 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

Don't know if this will get you all the away but:
In my game room I (carefully) removed the base board and cut a notch at floor level. Run the cable and a power line through the notch and up into a stud bay with the cable and power outlets behind the wall mounted TV. Re-install the base board and your done.
John
On Sep 11, 9:01pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"

If your house/chimney is like mine, the chimney is boxed in with framing on the exterior of the house with plenty of room around the chimney. I also have a basement. Drill from the inside drywall into the cavity that surrounds your metal chimney. Be VERY careful not to drill into the chimney. Access the cavity by removing siding and cutting thru OSB a large enough panel to get to the wires that will protude thru the wall. Make this access panel away from the street side if possible. Install outlet with squeeze box. Run wires down cavity into basement and then to the place that will house all other equipment and electric. Replace panel/siding on chimney cavity. Hook it all up and you're good to go.
Hank
On 9/14/2011 7:16 AM, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

Note that you need plenum-rated wiring if you do that. Even the fancy double-layer metal chimney stuff fails at times, or segments become unhooked if you live in earthquake country.
Personally, I still think it is a lousy place to put a TV, both ergonomically and TV-lifespan wise.
--
aem sends....

Agreed! My wife wanted to put the TV above our gas fireplace. We'd have to have hospital beds in the living room to see it, and the heat is a huge deal. It's a plasma set, which generates enough heat on its own. I needs no help.
The top of a display should be just above eye level (about 30% above) and well away from heat sources.
On Sep 14, 5:51pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I think the idea of having a TV over the fireplace seems like a good one until you look into it more. It does look good up there when you walk into the room. And it gets it totally out of the way. But, as others have pointed out, the downside is that I think it sucks for viewing angle. When you're seated or laying down on a sofa the preferred position has the TV located on a short stand on the floor.
If he decides to go the fireplace route, here's what I would do. I'd go get thermometer. Harbor freight has a nice one that has a probe on the end of about 7 ft of wire so you can put the probe anywhere. I recently used it where the issue was how close to the wall you can mount a TV with there still being sufficient air flow. I'd do some experimenting to see what the temp is above the fireplace. It might be perfectly fine.
As for routing the wires, it sounds like the easiest solution is to just bite the bullet and make some holes in the drywall as needed to do the routing.