Planning for large screen tv wall mount

Hi, Finishing my basement and chose a wall against which we want to mount a (future funding permitting) large (50"+) flat screen tv.

  1. How do I plan where I should put an electrical outlet on the wall behind the tv? Too high and I might be right where the wall mounting brackets might go. Too low and the outlet will show from under/behind the tv. Is there a general rule to follow?

  1. Do I need to install extra blocking between 2x4 wall studs to provide additional support or bracing for the tv wall mount? Again, how does one know what the "correct" height is to install?

I'm sure some of you have been through this and could offer some useful advice.

Many thanks, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. A few videos must be worth a million.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Put the outlet in the center of the TV. If you want to be sure you have a solid mounting, put 3/4" plywood over the studs and drywall over that. Guaranteed solid mounting, anywhere you want it.

Reply to
clare

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the outlet location - you'll probably add some sort of shelf unit and power bar eventually anyway. Pick a height that you like and go with it. My 43 inch was quite light - 2 bolts into a stud and the other two anchored into drywall anchors was fine. I used the swing-out style mount - allows a bit more room for getting at the connections behind and for cleaning/dusting. Also some tilt is possible.

The local Home Hardware ordered-in the best unit at the best price. The surplus store units were a bit cheaper - but junky. The audio-video stores carried good ones but quite pricey. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Just to be a little bit contrarian. Why do you want to wall hang it? Just to be in fashion? I personally would prefer to have it on a (sturdy) stand. That way it can easily be repositioned when you realize that you put it in the wrong place, or just find you would like a different organization of the room.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Put the box in the center. They have boxes that are made for this, you can find them at HD, etc. It's a larger, recessed box that has a receptacle and openings for cable TV, video cables, etc. so you can route those, hiding them, through it.

Reply to
trader_4

Unless one can find a wall where the TV can be mounted so the center of the screen (more or less) is about eye level I can't see a wall mount either. Many were mountedover the fire place or up high and unless you are in a recliner you will have neck strain from looking up all the time. Then if you ever want to move the set you have a problem with what to do with the wall mount.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

a (future funding permitting) large (50"+) flat screen tv.

behind the tv? Too high and I might be right where the wall mounting brack ets might go. Too low and the outlet will show from under/behind the tv. Is there a general rule to follow?

ide additional support or bracing for the tv wall mount? Again, how does o ne know what the "correct" height is to install?

I was going to say something similar about wall mounting. I think putting it over a fireplace, that high, is a bad idea too. But I've seen others installed on a wall at a reasonable height so that when you're sitting on a sofa it's at a comfortable viewing height, maybe a bit higher than you can do with a stand.

But a stand works for me, because you need somewhere to put the other stuff anyway, eg Tivo, surround sound, blue ray, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I wall mounted mine. At eye level is exactly right. I haven't had any desire to move it yet, but moving it shouldn't be hard. Nothing that can't be fixed with Spackle.

I like that it doesn't intrude into the room and that it can't be knocked over.

You don't need any extra blocking, modern TVs aren't that heavy. I didn't move any outlets, seeing a few wires doesn't bother me. But outlets can be moved without tearing the house down.

Reply to
Dan Espen

These days with a smart TV all you need is power if you mostly stream so you don't have that many other widgets. I have power and a coax behind the one I have but we seldom really watch anything that comes down the coax. This thing WiFis to the router, the sound bar blue tooths to the sub woof and satellite speakers. I put an SSR in a handy box with a duplex in it to drive the sound bar, external hard drive and a backlight. The SSR is operated using a USB cable going into the TV (5v). The TV bracket in the kids room was modified to make that TV ""smart" by carrying an old PC flat against the back of the TV. I have a few more cables going in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mine is 127 lbs with the stand, 107 without, and about 102 without the speakers (50 inch Panasonic Plasma)

Reply to
clare

A new LED is about a quarter of that. (27# for a 50" Samsung smart 4K LED)

Reply to
gfretwell

I bought a new 55" a year ago and it sure was a lot lighter and thinner than the approx 7 year old 42" Sony piece of crap that it replaced.

Reply to
trader_4

I think the thinness is what makes wall mounts attractive. It may just be a nostalgic throw back to when they promised us these things in the

60s when a "big" TV was 25" and weighed 100 pounds. The idea of a thin 60" TV mounted on the wall was just Star Trek stuff
Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, I remember those promises of technology we might one day have. And a TV hanging like a picture on the wall was one of them. Another was the possibility of cars that would stay in the lane on the highway by themselves. I remember them showing possible ways, including using some radioactive material embedded in the highway that a sensor on the car would pick up. We're kind of their now with the automatic braking and lane centering on many cars and truly autonomous vehicles being tested. The nuclear powered home furnace, I'm still waiting for one of those.

Reply to
trader_4