Wall anchors for fireplace mantle

I am going to my daughters house to re-hang up a cue stick holder on a brick wall.

I will also hang a fireplace mantle and she said it is heavy.

I have packed my masonary bits.

What recommendations for hangars for the mantle?

I used Cobra masonary anchors to hang some heavy wrought iron burglar bars for a customer.

Have a great day, Andy

Andy

Isn't the mantle partly recessed into the surrounding area?? Is it wood, tile, brick?????

Reply to
hrhofmann

What is behind the brick? Is it a modern house with a brick veneer over a studded wall, or is it old-school, and the interior of the fireplace is the same stack of brick you see from outside? A good clue is if the firebox is metal, even metal with a thin layer of firebrick, and especially if (like on my 1978 fireplace, and most recent fireplaces), the frigging chimney stack is wood.

Not sure what would work on veneer, maybe lag bolts all the way into the studs. Unless I knew there were tie straps holding the brick veneer solidly to the wall, I'd be reluctant to put a lot of lateral load on what is basically a stack of bricks. If a traditional fireplace, a DEEP hole (at least 1/3 as deep as the part sticking out), and rebar epoxied into the hole, and allowed to cure before pushing the mantel over it. Back in stone age, my father got them to pick the mantel before fireplace was laid, and his mason spotted rebar J-hooks into the structure. This was mainly 'rustic' mantels back then, not the Norm Abrams fussy cabinetry style ones. Those old barn beam sections were not light.

Reply to
aemeijers

The OP only mentioned brick behind the cue stick holder, he/she didn't say anything about the wall around and above the fireplace. That's why I asked what it was made of. Waiting for the OP to reply-------------

Reply to
hrhofmann

I won't know all the details till I get to her house.

Since she already bought it, I would venture to say that I will mount it similar to mounting a shelf to a wall.

The brick wall is the same as you would find in the exterior of a house.

Maybe I should drill into the brick proper and not into the mortar, and then insert the anchor bolts to give it additional strength.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I'd use the regular lead inserts into the mortar. Use more for the mantle if it's really that heavy. I would not drill into the brick because if anyone's plans ever change it is a lot easier to repair the holes in the mortar.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Excellent point.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Based on mounting heavy ornamental wrought iron burglar bars, I would have to disagree about drilling into the mortar.

I visited my "handy work" several years later, and they are still hanging fine.

To use a modified quote from Star Wars,

"Those Cobra wall anchors were impressive."

Andy

Reply to
Andy