Plaster wall anchors

What is the best anchors for plaster walls? I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle when drilled into. I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold. I am not trying to hang anything heavy. Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster. Thanks

Reply to
mo

Sounds like you have real plaster walls, the plastic anchors IMO are sucky, using a screw works better, make sure to hit a lathe. Better yet, a stud.

Reply to
roger61611

I had plaster in my last house. Any anchor pretty much works well. Any non-anchor (like nail hooks) sucks.

You might need a better drill bit or drill. Otherwise I didnt have any problem with anchors.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Hitting the lathe with a screw that is at least 1.25" into the wall is always a good choice. When you can't do that the absolute best if you need to hang something heavy is to use a 1/8 x 3" toggle bolt and a molly hanger ( a small hook made for use with screws). The small fluted plastic anchors work fairly well for light duty applications. The big fat screw in type anchor whether plastic or metal do not work at all with plaster.

Happy hanging.

Reply to
Colbyt

Toggle bolt, expanding bolt is 100% the best choice

Reply to
hallerb

I suggest the toggle type anchors that change shape after they are installed. There are both plastic and metal types. The metal ones tend to have long screws and have a part the swivels out once it is through the hole and the plastic ones tend to have a part the bends as the screw is tightened causing parts of the plastic to fold out. I am not talking about the type that just expand wider as the screw is put in.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've had good luck with the "big fat screw in type anchor" when I pre drill a hole that makes it necessary only for the actual "threads" of the anchor to cut into the plaster.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G.

I am happy for you.

I have repaired a lot of installations installed with this type of anchor. For insurance and liability reasons I can't justify using it except extreme light duty applications for it's designed purpose in drywall.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Work fine for me as well. And we hung some ~40lb pictures. Just don't use nails. We didnt drill into the stud either. But if you got a stud might as well use it.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I can't find the studs, and the ones I did find aren't anywhere near the area I need to hang my little caninet?

Reply to
Maly

t anchors but plaster is brittle when drilled into. I have used a long scre w to go into the lattes that is nailed to the studs. Seems to work well wit h good hold. I am not trying to hang anything heavy. Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.Thanks

Use toggle bolts that have a folding wing that pops out after you are compl etely through the wall material. But, you can't remove the screw once it i s in, or the toggle portion will fall off and down into the wall cavity, so you must have your bracket attached to the toggle bolts before you put the m in place.

Reply to
hrhofmann