Flat-panel TV on old TV cabinet

How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a

1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken the old TV out of the cabinet).
Reply to
gcotterl

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV used to be, and set the flat-screen on top. ( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look like the original factory finish.

Reply to
aemeijers

The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture which would accomodate a new flat-panel TV better than holding a fake fireplace or being converted to a minibar.

Reply to
gcotterl

If your heart is set on keeping it, find some cabinet-grade plywood that matches as close as you can, and line the open spot to make it look like a shelf. Don't forget vent and cable holes in the back. Take your best shot in the Minwax aisle at the Borg, for a matching shade of gel stain to rub on. Or possibly make a slightly-inset panel for the hole, and mount the new TV on a shallow wall mount. I'm having trouble picturing a modern wide TV that would fit in the hole where an old 4:3 aspect TV used to sit, unless the screen is a lot smaller. (I see a LOT of very fancy entertainment centers sitting by the curb, for that very reason.) And i still think you will have trouble trimming out the front edges where old wood meets new, and getting it to look right. But what the heck, it won't cost too much, and it will be an educational experience. Post pictures on one of the picture sites when you are done, and put a link back here. I'm kinda curious at this point how you make out.

Reply to
aemeijers

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The old TV screen used to fit in a "hole" measuring 27" wide by 18" tall but I don't plan on trying to "fit" the new flat-panel TV into that hole

Instead, I'm thinking about mounting the new flat-panel TV to the FRONT of the console. That area is 46" wide and 23" tall so it should accomodate a decent-size flat-panel TV.

Reply to
gcotterl

That makes it simpler- just panel over the hole with cabinet-grade plywood, and trim it out as best you can. I'd stare at the back of the TV and the wall-mount you plan to use first, though- you may want a recess so it can set flush as possible. And like another poster suggested, you may need to add ballast to the back of the cabinet, so it doesn't fall forward unexpectedly.

Seems a shame to waste all those cubic inches- maybe you can put a door on the back and make a secret compartment for stuff. Not too many burglars steal console TVs, I expect.

Reply to
aemeijers

"gcotterl" wrote

You can use a wall mount on the front and put the TV on that. Frankly, no matter what you do it is pretty much going to look like a hack job. Only way is to carefully cut out the front to recess the flat panel and put a mount on the inside of the existing cabinet. It will still look like a hack job though. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

jb weld

Reply to
Steve Barker

The BIG problem is the aspect ratio is oftendifferent. I HAVE seen some nice conversions, with the new unit installed from the back and supported using the wall-bracket screws into timber or plywood "web" to hold it in place. It would have to be a pretty special cabinet to make it worth the hassle in my opinion.

Reply to
clare

Why in the name of God and all his glory would you want to do a ridiculous thing like that? Toss the old console and buy a proper stand.

Reply to
A. Baum

Can't you read? In an earlier resply, I said "The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture"

Reply to
gcotterl

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

he could cut a piece of 3/4" particle board,MDF,or plywood to fit (recessed a few inches)inside where the TV used to be,paint it black,and mount his bracket to that panel. He might want to drill some holes for p.cord,cables and air circulation.Maybe even a whisper fan for better air circ,improving the life of the electronics.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

To A. Baum: Can't you read? In an earlier reply, I said "The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture".

Reply to
gcotterl

I can read just fine there pal. I think (opinion) what you want to do is ridiculous. Now move along and get over it.

Reply to
A. Baum

And now you want to cover the front with a flat panel TV.

What did I miss?

Reply to
Oren

90% of the front of the console is taken up by two vertical speaker- grilles and the old 27" picture-tube.

If I take out the entire old TV (including the picture tube) and the speaker grilles, I should be able to mount a 37" flat-screen TV on the front of the console.

Reply to
gcotterl

Okay. How heavy is the 37" flat panel? Will the console tip forward, damaging the new TV and then really piss you off?

Reply to
Oren

about 34 lbs (I will put "ballast" inside and at the back of the console) .

Reply to
gcotterl