Cabinet Flat Panel Door - Modification

Hi there,

I've been building a bathroom vanity with 3/4" baltic birch for our mater bathroom. I've almost complete the project and my wife doesn't like the flat panel cabinet door. I was thinking I could some how cut out the center and install a glass insert. Can this be done with a table saw?

Reply to
Marc

Marc,

Without getting destructive and removing the panel, try to see if she wood like some applied moldings to the panel to give it some depth. You could also glue/screw on a raised panel over that flat panel.

If you're going to remove the panel and replace it with glass, then set up your router table and fence to route the inside edge off and finish the corners with a chisel. This now gives you an edge for the glass. Add some inside molding or glass clips/turnstile thingy's to hold the glass in place. Be sure to use a tempered glass so if it breaks, no one gets sliced and diced.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Yes, as long as your table saw has a router attachment :-)

Marc wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

Supplemented with a jig saw, perhaps. Why not just make another door? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm just a wood working novice here and I think I didn't use the right terms to describe the door. The door and the drawers front are solid pieces of Baltic birch not a frame with a flat panel inserts...sorry for the mix-up. What I was thinking of doing was raising the table saw blade in to the panel to make the 4 cuts and finishing the cuts with a hand saw. I would then use my laminate trimmer with the appropriate router bit to make a grove for the glass to fit in. Will this work?

P.S. I only wish I had a router and table setup...

Reply to
Marc

Might be easier/safer to do the rough cutout with a jigsaw, then run your laminate trimmer along a straightedge to get clean edges. Then adjust the bit, and do it all again to make the rabbet for the glass.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Unless I am envisiopning this incorrectly, I am not real sure why your wife would want a glass door to look in at the plumbing and the various cleaners, etc. typically in a bathroom vanity behind the door.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall