Cutting a solid core interior 6 panel door

I need a 30x78 interior door. HD has the 30x80 6 panel pine solid core doors on sale right now too cheap to pass up ($60). Will it be OK to cut 2" off of the bottom even thoughit says on the door not to cut off more than 1". According to the clerks in the door dept in both HD and Lowes, that's what everyone does.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Cut 1" off the bottom and an 1" off the top.

AZCRAG

Reply to
cm

How much more for a special-order 78" high one?

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 10:01 am Childfree Scott put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

It won't hurt anything, but it *will* look odd. Take one inch off each end, and it will look a lot better.

Reply to
Doug Miller

But then the hinges have to be repositioned.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 10:22 am cm put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Take an equal amount from top and bottom of both jambs.

Reply to
willshak

Doug Miller

The instructions that come with the door say to not cut off any from the top. Plus it would look funny if you did that.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I assumed (wrongly, perhaps) that it was a pre-hung door.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 04:09 pm Doug Miller put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Off topic I know, but; since the above has been posted here; twice! What's that expression about 'People get the government they deserve'? We feel somewhat sympathetic about your election problems! Although the 'independent media', who are themselves 'Business interests', may be dwelling on it overmuch? Guess complete universality and accuracy could be important if it IS close call. Certainly sounds 'One nation under God' (Is it still permissible to say that?) needs one standard nationwide election law? With major penalties for non compliance? Maybe some United Nations election observers would be useful to keep those voters lists, voting machines and floating chads in order? Regardless of outcome. We wish you, our neighbours, all the best in November.

Reply to
Terry

At issue here is what is inside the door and how thick the stiles and rails are and how they are held together.

I would expect a panel door to be made of solid wood. I would expect a solid core door to be made of particle board with a finish veneer on both faces with rails and stiles made of either pine or hardwood depending on door quality. Top rails are often thinner than bottom rails since they do not expect you to cut the tops.

If it is a sold core door, you will cut the bottom rail off and expose the particle board core and marginally weaken the door. This is not the end of the world, if the exposed particle board is sealed to prevent moisture, it can last many years.

If it is a solid wood door, they must be concerned that you will cut out some of the dowels, mortise and tenons, or other rail and stile connection which might require some other method of reinforcement.

DanG

$108, or close to it if I rememeber correctly. vs $60 for the one on sale. Plus I have to wait a month to get the special ordered one.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I like the "major penalties" bit a LOT. Sadly, I doubt it would happen. If a corporation dumps hideous chemicals into the water or soil here, the officers of that corporations don't miss a day of golf, although they should be behind bars within days, with bail set at levels that are horrifying. Never happens.

Reply to
Doug Kanter