Odd door size

In my basement with a low ceiling the door opening is only 75" high. What do you reccomend for new replacement doors ?

Reply to
desgnr

How about... a 75" high door?

Or, get a solid wood door and cut it down to the proper height.

Reply to
mkirsch1

You can even do that with prehung, but you have to take them apart & really need to be accurate. Making an new door fit the old hinges / strike plate has always been more of a challenge to me than cutting a prehung down. I've seen an existing frame tutorial; you lay the new one on top of the old one (or vice versa), & spend a lot of time duplicating the old layout, then you mortise out the hinges & drill out for the lockset. While I was figuring that out, I could have the prehung cut down and in.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I had the same issue in my basement.

For the exterior door, I bought a foam filled flat-panel steel door, put a metal cutting blade in my circular saw and cut off a few inches from the top. The door opens in, so I just sealed the exposed foam with a thick coat of polyurethane. It's been that way for over 20 years with never a problem. The storm door I ordered custom to fit.

For the bathroom remodel, I bought a pre-hung 6-panel pine door and cut a small amount off of the top and bottom to keep the stile proportions the same. Yes, the doorknob is a inch or so lower than "standard" but it's no big deal.

For the door to my shop, I bought a hollow core door, cut the top off and inserted a new piece of square stock to replace the one I cut off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ahh the proper correct solution raisde the cieling:):):)

Reply to
bob haller