How Much For Custom a Size Storm Door?

I have a door opening of 351/2" wide X 781/2" high. So far I cannot find an off-the-shelf storm door that fits this size opening.

Some storm door manufacturer's brochures state that their standard storm doors can be ordered in custom sizes. If you've had this done, how much did it cost you, or how much % or $ over the same door in a standard size?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Reply to
kc

A standard 36" storm door & frame should fit your opening. The actual width is narrower and the length is longer to accomodate variations like yours. For length you trim the frame to correct size & adjust the door's bottom plate. For width, you center and the wide lips of the frame will cover any variation.

KC

Reply to
KC

I needed three custom sized doors. And I mean odd sized. We went to HD, and they said they could not make some of the doors we wanted with sidelites. A glass place said it is impossible to make a glass shower door that swings both ways. A couple of the other doors were available at HD, but when we priced them at a local shop, they were about half.

They came out and helped with the install of a couple of the doors, and the glass shower door took a total of three trips at 40 miles each round trip. No extra charge because the guy measured it wrong. He wouldn't even take a tip. The screen for over the sidelite was not ready when they delivered the doors. Two days later the guy brought it and installed it at no charge and wouldn't take a tip.

Moral of the story, we got custom doors, regular doors, and a door that couldn't be made at about half what the HD people wanted. And I would not even mess with the Internet or anywhere but a local shop.

It's free. Go to every shop, and see what they can do. On one door, they suggested an alternative that worked beautifully, was less, and was something that we would have never thought of. In this economy, people are hungry, and will go the extra yard. Just try to pick a known business that's been there a while. Then shop for price.

I think you may be surprised. We were, and the doors are good looking and tight fitting.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hi, Even you can order one from HD. Not much extra cot. Just waiting time. Here where I live the plant making doors is very closby. They take custom orders. With the economy the way it is most are not that picky.

Reply to
Tony Hwang