how much can I trim off a door (top and bottom)

Hi. If I need to saw off some of my door so it fits in the opening, how much margin of error is there to cut off? Is it 3 inches top and 3 inches bottom, total of 6 inches? How about the sides, any extra there? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

I R Baboon

It is a hollow door. I remember, I think someone telling me that there is a solid piece 2" thick in the bottom and the top of the door, then the rest is hollow, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

I had a hollow core wood door cut down by local lumber yard / millwork shop. They cut off considerably more than the two inch solid frame. They salvaged the frame and glued it back to complete the smaller door. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Just special order a solid core door the right size.

Reply to
scott_z500

I saw your follow-up post so I know you are dealing with a hollow core door.

Assuming it is a flat slab you can cut as much as you need to off. I find it easier to just trim one end at the bottom. Then you have to replace the solid strip of wood that is inside the door. You can make a new piece or reuse the old one by removing the veneer from the block of wood, add glue and insert it back into the door and clamp it till it dries.

I have a well painted interior hollow core door that I did this to 16 years ago for an exterior installation in a walk in crawl space opening.

I have never trimmed more than 1/2" off the sides of a hollow core door. I think that would be about the maximum.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Which isn't a major problem if you have hole saws of the right size and you epoxy a plug in place. Drill the new hole, hit the patch with a sander and it's done...assuming you're painting it of course!

RicodJour

unless of course, you already have a doorknob hole cut into it. ;)

Cutting the top will leave the doorknob at a "standard" height.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

The maximum amount allowable to trim off any standard 80 inch door is

39 1/2 inches off both the top and the bottom. If you cut off more than that, the door will fall apart. Of course there is the other option. Just eliminate the door entrely and hang the lock from the top of the door frame with a chain. Whenever you go away, simply rotate the chain to align the lock with the striker plate. Then insert the lock in the striker plate and lock it with your key. This saves the cost of the door and all the trouble of hanging it. Hinges can be installed on the door frame if you desire, but are optional.

Reply to
masterbuilder

oh, about 2 feet from the top and 3 feet from the bottom.

Reply to
JD

Drill a hole into either end and then you can either see or feel (with a wire maybe) how far to go until it is hollow.

Reply to
borgunit