Jeldwen bifold - can down sides

I'm installing Jeldwen bifold doors on my closet and I need to cut off

1/2inch off each doors side - my closet is 47inches wide. Can I cut them down from the side?

Thanks

Reply to
KayCe234

In all likelihood, yes...probably can see the ends of the side structural pieces on the top and bottom to see how wide they are--I'd expect 1-2".

If, they're the honeycomb flat panel doors, one can always refill and glue in a piece to make up for the original if do need more trimming than original pieces allow. In that case, of course, it would be simpler to take it all off one side and only have the one repair, but most likely in your case you'll be alright w/ 1/2".

There's always a possibility the OEM web site just might have data on that question as well, of course...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

That was intended to be 1-1/2" (or so), sorry...

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks so much -- now that you said it, I can see the piece on the bottom and I have more than enough room to take off.

Thanks again!

Reply to
KayCe234

JELD-WEN had written this in response to

: Hi KayCe234,

This depends on what type of jeld-wen bifold you purchased. There is only approx 1" of side stile on each side of each individual panels if this bifold is a flush or molded design. If you trim off more than 3/16 off any side, this will void your warranty. trimming off more than this would compromise the integrity of you bifold unit and may cause it to fail or warp. I would be happy to help you though if you can provide me a little more information about your product. Is this a 2 door bifold unit or a 4 door bifold unit? Knowing this, I will be able to give you a more definate answer. If this is a 2dr unit you would only be able to trim off 3/4" or under total (evenly off each side of the panels) If this is a 4 door unit, you can trim off a total of 1.5" (evenly off each side. You could technically trim off more than 3/16" on each side if needed but it would definately be at your own decision and not recommended by JELD-WEN. If this is a Premium Wood Bifold then you may only trim off 1/8" off each side to stay within our warranty. You are welcome to contact me @

877-535-3462 or email me @ snipped-for-privacy@jeld-wen.com if it is more convenient to you if you have any further questions. You may also visit our website at jeld-wen.com. Thank you and please don't hesitate to contact our office if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Oleachea Customer Service Manager JELD-WEN Door Customer Service

877-535-3462

------------------------------------- dpb wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 308029 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
JELD-WEN

I think you mean cut off 'each side' of the doors so they will fit into the 47 inch wide opening? The height is OK??????

Suggestion is to very careful. Just because top and bottom of hollow core doors is say 1.5 inches the wood strips down each side may be much thinner?

We suggest that the safest way would be to cut 'a little bit off ' each side' of 'each door'. Guess that would be eight edges? assuming two two foot wide bifolds each side, left and right?

If so one eighth off each edge would be more than an inch, because the width of the saw cut would be included.

A quarter inch, off each of eight edges, if indeed there is enough wood in edge of each door, could result in overall width reduction of more than two inches?

Reply to
terry