opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dr yer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two

3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier. I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's n o concern. Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experi ence? Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

If you have French doors you will need them both open when doing laundry and they may be in your way even if they can be swung the full 180 degrees. That could require opening and closing several times during the laundry process.

If you have two bi-fold doors they will open only 90 degrees when in use requiring you to maneuver around either one, or both, all the time.

If you have an adjacent wall on one side you might consider a single bi-fold door on that side so it won't be an obstacle when open.

The other choice would be no doors at all. That would eliminate all hassle when doing the laundry? except that of doing the laundry itself. That would be my choice.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Bifolds can get wonky over time. If there is such a thing as premium grade hardware that would cure it. My only concern with French doors is the extended portion when open. Will they be in the way when doing laundry? If they can be hinged to open well past the 90 degrees and out of the way, then it may be the best option.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

My laundry closet is similar to the OP's, with bifold doors. I removed them since they did little but get in the way. I have no need to hide the fact that I have a washer and dryer.

BTW, for similar reasons, I have no doors on the kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ick. We cook in our kitchen and cooking releases moisture, grease, other potential contaminants. I prefer to keep out food and dishes as clean as possible.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Accordian door maybe?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The ones in my world probably would. Look at these from Menards:

I'd think $2900 would buy something a bit solid.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

But, but, but the OP's opening is 72" so that would be a special order at about 4-5K.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

These are all great suggestions and valid opinions. Thank you all very much. Basement will ultimately be finished, so I do need some doors on this; and pocket doors not practical (but good suggestion).

Given that two french doors will need to be WIDE open each time, I think I'll go for the bifolds just to better manage the space fronting this area.

Reply to
millinghill

OK - Now go for the hardware that will allow them to be open as far wide as is possible. You might be able to get some hinges that have sort of an of fset to allow the doors when open to not intrude on the available width. B adly explained but you8 probably should understand what I am trying to say.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Of course he does. High-class people don't get dirty, they don't even sweat, and they don't even have a washing machine. Letting people see that you have one is the same as saying "I'm low-class."

Reply to
Micky

How about a sliding door? Also the pocket door would would be easy to install while remodeling.

Reply to
Tekkie?