Drill bit sharpener

any recommendations pro or con?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

****or*****

nb

Reply to
notbob

No personal experience with this one but if you already have a bench grinder and stone, and don't need to sharpen any larger than 3/4 " it is one possibility - and it won't break-the-bank.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I think I have something like that someplace, but I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

Taxed and Spent

I have a Drill Doctor similar to that one. It seems to work ok for the drill bits in the range it is made for.

kind of on the pricey side, but for those of us that never learned to sharpen one by hand it is easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've used the Drill Doctor for several years with good results.

Reply to
Meanie

Per Meanie:

Same here with the qualifications:

- I have never used anything else, so have nothing to compare it to.

- It was a bit of an effort to get my limited grey matter around the method of operating it.

But, bottom line, it seems to do the job.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Drilling wood? If you have a bench grinder, learn to sharpen by hand. Drilling metal? Don't bother with the cheaper home sharpeners, just replace your dull drills, or practice more on your bench grinder. IMHO.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

We had both commercial bench grinders and belt sanders in our machine shop. If you wanted to grind a carbide bit, hadda use the "green stone" on the "grinders" or jes any ol' "generic" belt on the Baldor.

I swear, we used that 4" Baldor belt sander more than any machine in the shop. Used to call it our "Mexican Milling Machine". Yeah, I know..... Not at all PC, but the fact remains.....

I eventually learned to sharpen "any" drill bit on that Baldor. From

1/8" to 2-1/8" (we used the larger bits on our redial drill press).

If yer gonna purchase a dedicated home drill bit grinder, try and make sure it's "water cooled". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob