Home Electrical Switch question

I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical kit's toggle switch.

Reply to
Jason

Doesn't the thermostat have settings for On, Off ,Auto?

If not, get one that does.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

although the note of the integral switch in the thermostat control would be a good solution, albeit perhaps more expensive...

Reply to
dpb

Even though I suggested the 3 position switch in the thermostat, I guess I can see a situation where a remote "overide" switch, say in a bedroom, might be useful.

The user could turn the fan on or off without having to walk to the thermostat - he would just need to make sure he put it back into "normal" mode when leaving that remote location or he'd be walking back to the switch if he wanted to let the thermostat take control.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

RBM

The above link is the Decora style, I presume they also make a traditional-switch version one as well but didn't look specifically.

5685-2T

Description

15 Amp-120/277 Volt AC. Single-Pole, double throw, center OFF, back and side wired maintained contact switch rocker. Light Almond

I doubt it's particularly expensive altho I didn't try pricing it.

--

Reply to
dpb

RBM

RBM wrote: ...

About 2-3X what I had figured...

--

Reply to
dpb

Where is the thermostat going to be? In the attic or in the living space.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

The toggle switch version is probably half of that

Reply to
gfretwell

That "center off" has $$$$ written all over it!!

Reply to
RBM

I suppose they make it, but I think it would be cheaper, but more versatile to use two switches, and they make those that fit into a single box, and they use a receptacle face plate since each switch is the same shape as a receptacle thingy.

That's what I have, and I use it quite often.

One switch turns the fan on even when the thermostat would keep it off, and one switch turns the fan off even when the thermostat would keep it on. The normal position, that relies on the thermostat is for one switch to be off and the other on. I turned the whole thing sideways so that one switch is next to the other, instead of above.

One 3 conductor cable from the fan/thermostat is enough to run both switches.

This is for a roof fan, but similar issues face other fans. They recommended being able to turn the fan on when a lot of showers put too much humidity in the attic. I don't do that, but it was 10 minutes extra to put in the second switch. I turn the fan completely off in the fall when it's cold enough that I like to get the attic hot from sunlight. Then some of the heat in the attic heats the house. I leave it that way until spring.

Lately I think my thermostat is broken, so I turn the fan off 7 or 8 PM, and I used to hear it go on about 10 in the morning, but I've been waiting until 3 to turn it on (when I remember). This might be misleading because the last 10 days in Baltimore haven't been very hot or humid. Unusual for August. Maybe if the temp were in the upper

80's or 90's I'd want to turn the fan on by 10, but I'm beginning to think maybe not until 1.

Most people would remember, but I forget little things very easily so I used an indelible marker to make a line on each switch, so both lines show when the switches are in the normal position.

Reply to
mm

RBM wrote: ...

Seems strange (altho that one is listed as a commercial model) that it would be that much more.

--

Reply to
dpb

I think $55 is a little much for a switch, so I like the two switch option. My thermostat is in the attic with little ability to get up there regularly, so that's why I want the remote switch. Of course, after the first couple of weeks, I'll probably never touch the override again and just let the thermostat handle it. I found a double switch for $9. Thanks for all your help!!!

Reply to
Jason