Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

Reply to
bill

The pins normally will be in the end of the vertical stile, not just through the horizontal. If they don't fit, thought, what have you lost?

I have cut hollow doors down substantially and fitted new ends in them though, so even if you have to do that it is possible.

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
bill

They're a box w/ a skin and typically a cardboard crossframe interior. Normally also you can see the end and top rail joint looking at the end to see how wide a piece it is and whether the pins are in it or the horizontal.

Sure you can take all off of one end, but you'll be guaranteed to have an open end if you do. (Of course, you'll probably have a pretty thin end piece if you take an inch off either end, too... :) ).

As I say, if they're 2" too long, you haven't lost much unless they're new and could be returned which would seem unlikely...

--

Reply to
dpb

If these are typical hollow core doors, leave the tops alone.

Score cut through the veneer to avoid splintering. Cut what you need at the bottom. Take an appropriate size stick to push the cardboard filler up into the door just a bit. Use a sharp chisel or whatever to clean the veneer, etc off the original door bottom stile. Glue, insert, and clamp.

Reply to
DanG

Dan you r the man. thanks. worked like a charm. i cut off 2 and

1/16 off the bottom. >If these are typical hollow core doors, leave the tops alone.
Reply to
bill

replying to DanG, Shannon Bishop wrote: I need to trim the sides 3/8 on each outside panel, to fit the opening. The opening is 47.75, and does not allow the doors to pivot. Is that OK.

Reply to
Shannon Bishop

replying to Shannon Bishop, Time Warp wrote: Sure, what do you have to lose other than 3/4" overall? ;)

Reply to
Time Warp

Reply to
rbrown5518

Hey what about cutting an inch from the long side?

Reply to
rbrown5518

If you want people to see your whole question, put the entire question in the text of the post. Would you submit a paper with an essential fact only in the title.

Have you tried to order the size you need?

Why are you so caught up in one brand of door. Shop around until you find your size. I doubt that's what the builder did. He probably bought doors that were the size he wanted.

Reply to
micky

Reply to
micky