35" Storm door?

I can find 32, 34, and 36. All the homes in my area use 35". That's a special order so much more expensive. I suppose I could add a wood strip or two and make it 34, but that seems an odd way to handle it.

Having never replaced a storm door before, I could use a bit of input. Seems easy enough, three hinges and I have a new door.

Reply to
dgk

Check that you are measuring properly; actual door versus opening. 35" is not standard and I've never run across one in a house built since about 1960 or so.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Right! It seems no matter how many times I cut something it's always too short.

Reply to
PanHandler

That's not cutting, that's filing. ;)

RicodJour

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:45:49 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell" wrote: ...

Yes, it's a storm door so that makes it easier than dealing with removal of the main door.

I spent part of the weekend removing the moulding with a pry bar so I could see what I was dealing with. Once the moulding is off, each side of the opening has an 8" (roughly) plank attached to the brick and jamb. I'm not bothering to remove that; I just blew some foam into the gaps and caulked it.

But those planks only supported the moulding before; now they're going to have to support a metal door and frame. So I got some concrete/brick anchor-type things and put a few into each of the planks. Now they're in pretty firmly.

The door we wanted wasn't in stock though so we have to wait a few weeks. Once the door is installed, I'll see how much room is left for some nice new moulding. I'll likely have to add a plank at the bottom since the current brick step doesn't extend as far as the new door location.

Well, that's the plan anyway. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
dgk

I have the same 35in problem because the entry dooor is 36 inches but has a sidelight on each side. Because of the sidelights the trim between the doo r and the sidelights is 35 and a quarter inches. I can buy a 34in stormdoo r and get a expander thru anderson doors they are the same doors as larson. Has anyone ever had this probem and been able to solve?

Reply to
navigatorgirl1551

Instead of using an expander, I would consider trimming the door out to make the correct width for just the door. I did that by using vinyl stock ripped to the correct thickness to center the door.

I hate expanders. They look like well...expanders.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

sidelight on each side. Because of the sidelights the trim between the door and the sidelights is 35 and a quarter inches. I can buy a 34in stormdoor and get a expander thru anderson doors they are the same doors as larson. Has anyone ever had this probem and been able to solve?

That is an odd size. Use a 34" and expanders. Many years ago I used to sell and install aluminum doors and windows as a sideline and that is the way we did it. On windows, their is a strip on the side you can tear off the make smaller to fit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:29:53 AM UTC-4, dgk wrote:"

I wonder if he found a solution in the last, almost 5 years?

Reply to
willshak

That sounds like too much work. Just use a 34" door. attach it with super glue, and cover the gap around the sides with duct tape.

Reply to
generic

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, workinonit wrote: my house was built in 1940's and has a 35" opening. is there a work around or do I need to special order the door?

Reply to
workinonit

Is the 35 inch measurement the jam measurement or trim measurement? The door can be mounted outsude of the jam and use a 36 inch door. see this from Larson Doors:

clare

I am curious to know what you ended up doing. I am in the same situation now. My door measures 35 in. wide. Thanks.

Reply to
gigi23035

You buy a door with expanders. 34" core. Mount the hing first, center the core. I've installed over 100 of them like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Door Belle wrote: Current situation. Is the expander route safe for an economic downswing? I is it more easily gotten into? No one believes me that my door was 35...

Reply to
Door Belle

No one believed me either. 35in storm doors were once extremely common up into the 1980s (where the door itself, is exactly 35in wide) - they were designed to fit into an exactly 36in wide stud-to-stud opening. Sometime in the 1980s the standard was changed. Go figure. (now it's a "Custom" door and costs over a grand to buy one). The best thing to do is get the next side down, then add extra wood and manually trim out (hire a trim carpenter) - You won't be able to do this for less than $1000 (yup, all for a lousy storm door!). (I used to do reno, and trust me, every other home (from 1960s to 1980s) had 35in doors (in Ky).

Reply to
BD9000

I've installed over 100 aluminum doors with expanders. It easily fits within a bit over an inch. Never bought a special size at high prices. Forget the big box stores and check other places.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They are pretty common in aluminum. That is one of the standard screen cage doors.

Reply to
gfretwell

$1000 is a lot for a door.

If they were extremely common, maybe you can find one at one of those used house parts stores they have now, or even an abandoned house too damaged to be repaired (There are a couple in the country-side around here with no windows, no paint) You can find the owner from the county clerk's office and buy it from him for 50 or 100.

Or when you see a new housing development is going up that will require tearing down some old houses.

Reply to
micky

Darn, I missed the word STORM door. Never mind.

Sleepy becaue I stayed up all night watching election results that didn't change all night. Of course they barely changed today also.

Reply to
micky